So...as the title says I decided randomly to take a trip down to the Tail of the Dragon on my 2012 ZX6r which had 620 miles when I started. Wait...let me back track...okay maybe this wasn't so "random" but slightly planned out (who am I kidding...I did not plan anything
Recently I switched jobs...so I had a one week break in between jobs and my brother casually mentioned I should ride down to the dragon, and after that perhaps continue onto Texas to visit family (That last part fell through due to major flood warnings in Texas)
In any event....in anticipation for this trip I did my first oil change on the bike at 624 miles....(I know Riverzzr would kill me....thankfully its my bike
I'm a bit of a purist and decided to go with Kawi 10W40 oil and a OEM oil filter (yes...the China version ending in 0008 -_- )
Some pics of...nothing new, but here ya go
Well....that was Friday, Sunday I geared up the bike in anticipation for a long ride....(NY -> Tennessee)
List of my gear fr the trip
- Speed & Strength 2 pc Drag Suit
- Alpinestar Smx5 Race boots
- HJC helmet (with ear plugs for wind noise lol)
- Gloves (Had a few pairs on me in case...always bring extra)
- Kawasaki OEM Tank Bag (meant for Ninja 300 but I made it work
- Kawasaki OEM Tail bag (Meant for 09-15 Zx6r)
All gassed up and ready to roll....as Kawi says "let the good times roll"
So...I don't have "too" many pics of the actual ride down there but I intended to stop in each state to grab a pic...but that did not happen. The list of states I passed through are as follows:
- New York (Starting Point)
- New Jersey
- West Virginia
- Tennessee/North Carolina (Finish)
I probably missed something...but I did snap a "few" state line crossing pics below:
To give some notes on the riding...because I did ride 720 miles (Just under 12 hours...) STRAIGHT on a crotch rocket
- Stopped for gas approximately every 150 miles (2 hours) which gave me time to stretch....
- The added luggage did not make the bike feel "Sluggish" BUT I did feel the cross winds A LOT more, I was okay though
- I will say...the tank bag is real nice to lean on when doing long distance trips (not sure if its stupid or not but I used it a lot
- My gas mileage was just over 40MPG on my ride down there (I got better later...but that will come further in my story
So...I get to the hotel after 12 hours riding...get a good nights sleep then tackle the dragon the next day (Monday)
Stayed at a Holiday Inn right off of 40
It was about 1.5 hours from the dragon, but it was close to Gattlinburg and Pigeon Forge....definitely a nice area at night to see.
Next: The Dragon........
I just purchased 3 of them from their site....the rest I don't care much for, but love the first pic)
Note: Before anyone wants to "knock" my lack of lean angle please remember I RODE my bike ALONE from home (720 miles away) and this was NOT the place or time to go down (Not that there is a place or time....but you get the idea)
Well folks....the above pics display my "tactics" to slaying the dragon...I finally reached the dragons den and met other fellow riders on the same quest
Oh...before I forget some random "lookout" pics because the weather and scenery were beautiful