So, being that I have more time than money, I decided to buy a set of OEM nose and side plastics for my 04. After my rainy wreck at Road Atlanta I did not want to have to repair my stock orange fairings a third time due to a track day low side
I have been saving up this thread for a while so everything is in it. If you have any questions hit me up. I know it would be SUPER easy to buy track plastics and just paint them...but hey...when you've got time, why spend the money??
The nose AND side plastics cost me 150 shipped from Sean on here. i spent about $40 total on JB weld and bondo and body filler, and $25 for my belly pan decals (they'll be in early next week and will update with pics.)
Nose from SSGSXRZX6R (Sean)
Piece was broken (I knew prior). Fixed.
Fairings came in from Sean. USPS broke this piece. I filed a claim and got my money back a week later for the price I paid Sean for.
Fixed said fairing. Heat molded some plastic and JB welded it. I'm going to add the triangle piece later
After primed white. Used Plastidip blaze orange. About 3 coats total.
Applied one coat of clear gloss. Makes Plastidip easier to clean and handle
Filling in the light openings for track nose.
Using some plastic from X-Ray film cartons. (My dad works in that field, has
plenty. It's really good to work with. Soft enough to easily mold with heat
Cut out the stencil. Notched spots for tabs (for securing to backside)
Use heat gun, mold the curvature.
Tabs secured with JB weld. Will probably do a ring of plastic weld just to
be super secure
Filling in the front side with a layer of bondo body filler. Slathered on
like cake batter.
Let cure for 12 hours. Used electric sander to smooth out and level the
filler with the nose plastic
Yeah I ruined the Plastidip. But hey, it peels off and I can just redo it no
Need to bondo fill the remaining smaller cavities
Now to fix the broken chunk I couldn't find after reattaching the bigger
Using a skinnier long piece as a backbrace on the inside
Now to make this more "track compliant" by cutting the bottoms in half where
I will then attach tabs to the tops and then drill holes and rivet DZUS