Howdy dudes and dudettes! I'm Aaron. I have a sickness, the primary symptom of which is that I have a compulsive need to repair machinery, which frequently involves buying broken things.
Those amongst us who have played the video game Overwatch
will likely recognize the name 'Genji' as the name of name of a ninja who is horribly mauled in a bitter quarrel with his brother. Thanks to the intervention of some well-meaning, but perhaps misguided, strangers, Genji is given a new, titanium body, and allowed to live on as a cyborg. This sounds about right for this bike, to me.
I'd been hoping to find a project bike for a while, in the free or nearly free price bracket. About a month ago, I was helping a buddy check out a KLR650 he was considering buying, when I got to talking with the seller, a veteran racer, who told me he had a pile of parts that theoretically go back together to for a ZX-6R, or at least most of one, in his garage that he wanted to get rid of. The asking price fell within my desired "close to free" price range, it had a title, and enough parts that I figured "well, if I can't save this thing, I can probably make a few bucks parting it out..."
About a week later, I brought home my prize.
Here it is that evening, having displaced my daily driver BMW from its space in the garage. The seller was good enough to sorta-kinda reassemble it, so it no longer could be described as "a pile."
Obviously, a bike like this that can be had this cheap is not going to be perfect, and perfect it is definitely not. The seller told me that it had been used as a race bike, and that during its last track session, it developed a nasty rod knock, but suggested the engine might be repaired with just the replacement of the crank and affected rod bearing. I had my doubts about that, but I set to tearing the bike down to assess the damage nonetheless...
Compared to my last project - the 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata you see in the background - disassembling this was a piece of cake.
Ruh-roh! It took me three tries to get a not-totally-crap photo of this. Not looking good for the engine.
The wiring harness is kind of a mess. This was a race bike, and apparently, "it just has to work" was this team's mantra.
The tiny hex screws that fasten the intake boots onto the throttles fought me tooth and nail - you need LONG Allen wrenches for these, and I'd left my long ones at the office.
At length, I prevailed, and the engine was freed from the chassis.
It was at this point that I forgot to take any more pictures of the teardown. The next day, having been relieved of the engine, the chassis was considerably easier to move around.
At length, I was able to liberate the crankshaft from the engine. Most of the bearing journals look OK, but #3 rod journal is um... not smooth.
I considered attempting to repair the original engine, but, after some browsing of Ebay, I concluded that a used engine would be a far less expensive and risky proposition. So, I found and ordered an engine from Ebay. For some odd reason, the best deal I could find, shipped to my house, came from the UK. The Ebay seller tells me it was last sighted in Poland, as of Friday morning US time.