01 zx6r bogs at high speeds and higher rpms?
I got a zx6r a few months ago. It was dropped so I made it a naked bike while I was finding parts and getting the fairings painted. It was sitting for like a year before I got it. The bike ran ok and started running better and better after riding it some more. After about 100 miles it was running normally. I just figured it was build up from sitting and stuff.
Anyways, it ran perfect. Pulled good to redline and all. I rode the bike without fairings and all the ram air stuff for a few hundred miles.
The problems started when I put it back together. To me it sounds like a mixture problem. But it only happens at higher speeds so I'm starting to think it has something to do with the ram air system.
Here are the symptoms:
- runs fine in all gears to about 45 or 50 mph.
- 1st gear can go to about 10k or maybe even redline before starting to bog
- revs are really responsive and good when the bike isn't moving or at low speeds.
- above about 40-50 mph, if I hold in the clutch and do a few quick twists on the throttle, it bogs on the 1st or second twist and then revs after that.
- at speeds above about 40mph, if i give it gas smoothly, it goes good until about 50 or 60. But if I yank it and try to accelerate very fast, it bogs and actually slows down instantly and then accelerates slowly
- it's a lot worse up hills but i guess that would be normal with a poor running engine.
- despite all the other symptoms, it revs perfectly fine when its not moving, to redline and all. doesn't bog or hesitate at all.
Nothing except the oil and filter was touched on the engine. It ran perfectly fine before I took the tank off and dropped everything off to get painted. I've checked the tank and intake system for anything that can clog it up but its all clear. I also raised the rear 2 inches back to stock(it was lowered before) but I doubt that changes things.
I think i'm gonna have to play with the mixture but I just wanted to see if what you guys thought.
Thanks for your help.
Oh and the bike has a D&D exhaust and that's it. But it was like that when I got it. Everything else is stock