ZX6R.com

chain tension

This is a discussion on chain tension within the Mechanical and Technical forums, part of the ZX6R Forum category; SO I am getting frustrated with my chain tension. I just had a new chain put on the bike when I bought it 4000 miles ...

Go Back   ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 08-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Team Green
 
mrzixer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
From: Greenwood, IN

Posts: 178

I Ride: 06 zx6r
chain tension

SO I am getting frustrated with my chain tension. I just had a new chain put on the bike when I bought it 4000 miles ago. The bike only had 900 previous miles so the sprockets were fresh. I am having to tighten it quite often. Like 2 nights ago did my suspension and chain, and today it already has too much slack. Any ideas what could cause this, or could it be normal chain wear.
mrzixer is offline  
Remove Ads

Welcome to the largest Kawasaki ZX6R Forum for the Kawasaki ZX6R, ZX6RR, 636, and ZX6.

We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the Kawasaki ZX6R Forum family!

Old 08-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
Squid
 
1999Zx6R's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
From: texas

Posts: 31

I Ride: 1999 zx6r 1985 vf1000r
Is the chain actually stretching or is the back wheel sliding forward?
1999Zx6R is offline  
Old 08-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
Post Master General
 
arron's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: melbourne

Posts: 11,818

I Ride: 1998 zx6r, 1999 sv650
How often do you ride and carry a pillion?
arron is offline  
Old 08-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
Team Green
 
mrzixer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
From: Greenwood, IN

Posts: 178

I Ride: 06 zx6r
Havent in over a week. I do quite a bit of clutch up wheelies right now though, maybe that has something to do with it. Just seems crazy to adjust so much, and I ride every day
mrzixer is offline  
Old 08-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
Post Master General
 
arron's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: melbourne

Posts: 11,818

I Ride: 1998 zx6r, 1999 sv650
That would put some strain and stretching it..
arron is offline  
Old 08-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #6
ApexRc
Guest
 
Joined:

Posts: n/a
Take a really really good look at your front sprocket. Just happened to me. It will stretch it. Mine just had a slight ramp it the tooth and that was enough to screw the chain up. I would adjust then have to readjust very shortly.
 
Old 08-07-2011, 01:18 AM   #7
World Superbike Racer
 
LarryJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Chesapeake, VA

Posts: 1,304

I Ride: '06 ZZR fighter, '05 VTX 1300
Make sure you're adjusting your slack at the tightest spot on the chain. Are you sure you're not just checking the chain at a looser spot and assuming it's stretching? Turn the wheel and keep checking the chain for tightness--you can feel it by hand. When you find the tight spot, adjust tension between 1 and 1.5 inches of travel, full up to full down at that spot. Re-check and adjust as necessary every other chain cleaning or so. I do mine every 500 miles-ish.
LarryJ is offline  
Old 08-07-2011, 07:01 AM   #8
mtp
World Superbike Racer
 
mtp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
From: england

Posts: 1,712

I Ride: zx6r 1997 streetfighter
as above ^^^

nothing wrong with wheelies hahahah kep it up
mtp is offline  
Old 08-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #9
ZX6r.com Supporting Member
 
oldninjadude's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
From: Looneybin escapee

Posts: 16,923

I Ride: 2007 ZZR/ZX6R
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
Make sure you're adjusting your slack at the tightest spot on the chain. Are you sure you're not just checking the chain at a looser spot and assuming it's stretching? Turn the wheel and keep checking the chain for tightness--you can feel it by hand. When you find the tight spot, adjust tension between 1 and 1.5 inches of travel, full up to full down at that spot. Re-check and adjust as necessary every other chain cleaning or so. I do mine every 500 miles-ish.
Right you are Larry,
OP, find your tight spot & mark it, Then do as Larry says.
Marking the spot will let you find it & check there every time.
Also spin the wheel forward not backward(hard to explain, but it makes a def)
Also are you torquing the axle down to spec?
Another thing push forward on the wheel/axle & hold to be sure its completely flush up against the adjusters before you tighten the axle.

Oh & guys chains do not stretch, That is a myth.
The rollers ware down & your sprockets valleys ware deeper.
Thus giving the impression that the chain has stretched.

Last edited by oldninjadude; 08-07-2011 at 07:57 AM.
oldninjadude is online now  
Old 08-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #10
ZX6r.com Supporting Member
 
oldninjadude's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
From: Looneybin escapee

Posts: 16,923

I Ride: 2007 ZZR/ZX6R
You do know to tighten it by the tightest spot on the chain?
With a new properly adjusted chain there should be very little deference.
As the chain wares tight spots will be more pronounced.

Understand that if your not checking it by the tight spot & doing as Larry suggested you might be doing,
(adjusting to a different spot each time) that will leave the tight spot >to tight<
That will increse chain ware & put other componits under undue stress.
It can in fact be dangerus.
oldninjadude is online now  
Old 08-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
World Superbike Racer
 
LarryJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Chesapeake, VA

Posts: 1,304

I Ride: '06 ZZR fighter, '05 VTX 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldninjadude View Post
You do know to tighten it by the tightest spot on the chain?
With a new properly adjusted chain there should be very little deference.
As the chain wares tight spots will be more pronounced.

Understand that if your not checking it by the tight spot & doing as Larry suggested you might be doing,
(adjusting to a different spot each time) that will leave the tight spot >to tight<
That will increse chain ware & put other componits under undue stress.
It can in fact be dangerus.
i.e. fuck up your counter shaft.
LarryJ is offline  
Old 08-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #12
World Superbike Racer
 
LarryJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Chesapeake, VA

Posts: 1,304

I Ride: '06 ZZR fighter, '05 VTX 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldninjadude View Post
Oh & guys chains do not stretch, That is a myth.
The rollers ware down & your sprockets valleys ware deeper.
Thus giving the impression that the chain has stretched.
How do you figure it is a myth? The rollers are comprised of a sleeve, pin, and roller bearings. The chain links, inner and outer plates, stretch over time due to stress.

LarryJ is offline  
Old 08-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #13
ZX6r.com Supporting Member
 
oldninjadude's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
From: Looneybin escapee

Posts: 16,923

I Ride: 2007 ZZR/ZX6R
Iv read to many articles by so-called experts that say it ant so. LOL
But really do you believe the side plates, (steel mind you) actually stretch?
Your saying you believe that the chain actually stretches?
All the magazines say its rubbish.

It does get a bit longer,
This is due to the rollers wearing down, which allows more play/slack in the side plates.
That would be the inner sideplates.

Last edited by oldninjadude; 08-07-2011 at 09:47 PM.
oldninjadude is online now  
Old 08-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #14
Team Green
 
mrzixer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
From: Greenwood, IN

Posts: 178

I Ride: 06 zx6r
Something is happening because I almost need to adjust it every other day. And I did adjust for the tightest spot. Guess its just an excuse to get some Vortex sprockets and a new chain. Any recommendations on a chain? Also I was thinking about going -1 in the front.
mrzixer is offline  
Old 08-08-2011, 04:47 AM   #15
Pro Racer
 
landspeeder's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: Oxford, NC

Posts: 628

I Ride: 2006 ZX-6rr/2008 ZX-10R/2008 EX-250R
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzixer View Post
Something is happening because I almost need to adjust it every other day. And I did adjust for the tightest spot. Guess its just an excuse to get some Vortex sprockets and a new chain. Any recommendations on a chain? Also I was thinking about going -1 in the front.
I adjust my chain after every 4th or 5th pass. You put a lot of stress on a drive train if you ride hard. Clutch up wheelies puts a strain on the system. Pulling to the limiter in 1st gear before you shift puts a big amount of stress on the drive train. 1st to 2nd is the hardest shift on the bike. I'd rather the chain be the weak spot, than it be the tranny.
landspeeder is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > Mechanical and Technical


Search tags for this page

chain tension 2005 zx6r

,

chain tightness

,

rear chain tension on zx6r

,

suggested chain tension

,

zx6 chain tension

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chain Tension Super Ninja Mechanical and Technical 10 07-04-2012 04:25 AM
How to clean and lube the chain... DaddysNinja Mechanical and Technical 44 03-13-2012 06:26 PM
Chain and sprocket question... daveleaf Mechanical and Technical 4 05-13-2011 08:39 PM
cam chain tension on b1h zx6karl The ZX6R 6 10-09-2009 08:25 PM
Chain Guard Wear dunx-hg The ZX6R 4 05-14-2009 06:54 PM