CR9E vs CR8E Spark Plugs - ZX6R Forum
 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-19-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
trikpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bacolod
Posts: 52

I Ride: 2005 ZX-6R
CR9E vs CR8E Spark Plugs

I bought/installed the wrong plugs by mistake. I didn't have an owners manual at the time I changed my plugs which was the next day I bought my bike.

The previous owner used some DENSO plugs so I brought those to a store to ask whats they are in NGK. They gave me NGK CR8E which I bought then installed. Then I just recently found out the stock ones are CR9E.

I've read from other posts here that it might work as they are "hotter" plugs but I'd like to know what are the effects if I continue using the CR8E? The pros and cons of running "hotter" plugs.

Also, I'm living in a tropical country(hotter climate) and I'm only using 95 RON fuel. I've read lower octane fuel burns at higher temp so using hotter plus would make sense but please do correct me if I'm wrong.
trikpat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 04-19-2016, 08:09 PM
Post Master General
 
AlexZX6R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Dee Ego Haha Americas finest city
Posts: 8,333

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
You might get detonation with a hotter plug.
AlexZX6R is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 04-19-2016, 08:33 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
40acres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,202

I Ride: 2008 zx6r, 2011 kx250f
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexZX6R View Post
You might get detonation with a hotter plug.
One can only assume....
AlexZX6R likes this.
40acres is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 Old 04-19-2016, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
trikpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bacolod
Posts: 52

I Ride: 2005 ZX-6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexZX6R View Post
You might get detonation with a hotter plug.
Please forgive me but detonation means engine knocking right?
AlexZX6R likes this.
trikpat is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 04-19-2016, 10:07 PM
Post Master General
 
Scorpi0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: LA, Cali
Posts: 9,603

I Ride: 06 636
Yeah
Scorpi0 is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 04-19-2016, 10:08 PM
Post Master General
 
AlexZX6R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Dee Ego Haha Americas finest city
Posts: 8,333

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Yeah. it's also referred to and pinking, knocking, and so on. it's all bad lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trikpat likes this.

Oh, the stuff I say.
AlexZX6R is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 04-19-2016, 10:11 PM
Pro Racer
 
insan3guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 646

I Ride: 2015 zx6r (30th annie ed.)
Get a set from amazon and 2-day it to your place.
AlexZX6R likes this.

Quote:
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be misquoted and used against you in an internet fight
Quote:
Originally Posted by insan3guy
I'd rather be a smartass than a dumbass
insan3guy is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 04-19-2016, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
trikpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bacolod
Posts: 52

I Ride: 2005 ZX-6R
I can't get it from Amazon for 2 days because the US is a half the world away

Anyway I already found CR9E where I'm from and I'm going to make the switch to the original plugs. The CR9Es might be the cause why my engine doesn't sound as smooth(there's a little knocking). I'm also going to try and test some 100 octane fuel to see if it gets any smoother.
AlexZX6R likes this.
trikpat is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 04-19-2016, 10:33 PM
Pro Racer
 
insan3guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 646

I Ride: 2015 zx6r (30th annie ed.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikpat View Post
I can't get it from Amazon for 2 days because the US is a half the world away

Anyway I already found CR9E where I'm from and I'm going to make the switch to the original plugs. The CR9Es might be the cause why my engine doesn't sound as smooth(there's a little knocking). I'm also going to try and test some 100 octane fuel to see if it gets any smoother.
... well then.

Glad you could find some locally
AlexZX6R likes this.

Quote:
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be misquoted and used against you in an internet fight
Quote:
Originally Posted by insan3guy
I'd rather be a smartass than a dumbass
insan3guy is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 04-19-2016, 11:37 PM
Post Master General
 
AlexZX6R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Dee Ego Haha Americas finest city
Posts: 8,333

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikpat View Post
I can't get it from Amazon for 2 days because the US is a half the world away



Anyway I already found CR9E where I'm from and I'm going to make the switch to the original plugs. The CR9Es might be the cause why my engine doesn't sound as smooth(there's a little knocking). I'm also going to try and test some 100 octane fuel to see if it gets any smoother.


no reason to waste your money on high octane fuel. it's not going to do anything really for your application. good on you putting the correct plugs in and not waiting.
insan3guy likes this.

Oh, the stuff I say.
AlexZX6R is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 04-20-2016, 04:20 AM
Track Star
 
N20zuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikpat View Post
I can't get it from Amazon for 2 days because the US is a half the world away
Advance auto parts near my house stocks them. Did you check locally?

2014 Yamaha R1
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R
2004 Honda XR650l
N20zuki is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 04-20-2016, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
trikpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bacolod
Posts: 52

I Ride: 2005 ZX-6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by N20zuki View Post
Advance auto parts near my house stocks them. Did you check locally?
I'm from the Philippines. South East Asia. The shipping would cost more than the plugs.

Already found them locally. Going to swap em on the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexZX6R View Post
no reason to waste your money on high octane fuel. it's not going to do anything really for your application. good on you putting the correct plugs in and not waiting.
The problem is the tiny knocking that I'm trying to get rid of. Maybe the fuel I'm using is being mislabeled as 95 octane so I'm going to try fuel with higher octanes just to test if it's the fuel causing the issue. But that's if the knocking is still there after I swap plugs.
trikpat is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 04-20-2016, 06:06 AM
Track Star
 
N20zuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikpat View Post
I'm from the Philippines. South East Asia. The shipping would cost more than the plugs.

Already found them locally. Going to swap em on the weekend.


lol well I didn't take that into thought. But glad you found them locally!
AlexZX6R and trikpat like this.

2014 Yamaha R1
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R
2004 Honda XR650l
N20zuki is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 04-21-2016, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
trikpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bacolod
Posts: 52

I Ride: 2005 ZX-6R
Changed my plugs this afternoon to the stock NGK CR9E.

But I found what looks like oil on the threads of my 3rd and 4th plugs(from the left)



Is this a bad omen?

Last edited by trikpat; 04-21-2016 at 09:35 AM.
trikpat is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 04-21-2016, 09:30 AM
Post Master General
 
AlexZX6R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Dee Ego Haha Americas finest city
Posts: 8,333

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
No. I think it's just fine.
trikpat likes this.
AlexZX6R is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NGK CR9E Spark Plugs AlexZX6R Classifieds 7 07-20-2014 09:34 PM
Spark Plugs, what do you run? GTR Racer Mechanical and Technical 49 11-30-2013 11:14 PM
Noticed this while changing spark plugs. dep Mechanical and Technical 24 03-28-2013 02:15 PM
New coils or different spark plugs??? Slice3054 Motorcycle Talk 4 12-23-2012 08:37 AM
Trouble accessing spark plugs for removal Wardjp Mechanical and Technical 27 12-07-2012 02:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome