The ups and downs of used parts on Ebay - ZX6R Forum
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-04-2017, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
MotoCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 306

I Ride: 2009 monster energy zx6r
Garage
The ups and downs of used parts on Ebay

As much luck as I have had buying parts on Ebay, I am starting to find it hit and miss on the used parts. Mostly from the big salvage parts stores. Usually the part is still usable but with some defect that wasn't pictured or described. I usually contact the seller and they'll offer partial refunds which sometimes makes the deal more acceptable.
This latest transaction was bad from the get go though. I am trying to secure a spare set of wheels for rains and was hoping to maybe score a street tire as well to get a few miles in before the season. He is asking $365 for an 09-12 front wheel with rotors and what looked like a fairly decent Pilot Power tire. Description was kind of vague and only 3 pics so I offer him $275. The guy waits 46 hours of the 48 hours allowed for offers, but he accepts. I pay immediately on a Wednesday morning, yet don't hear anything about shipping as of friday so I contact him. No response till Sunday! Then, "sorry for the delay, had to leave town on emergency. will ship tomorrow." Package is marked as shipped first thing monday, I check the tracking late monday and the dude missed the drop off time at the fed ex store! Now it doesn't leave Florida till last tuesday and I just receive it today..13 days after purchase! And what do you know, the asshole shipped the wrong wheel! Here is what I thought I was getting
and the pics below are what I received. I think it is a 2013+ wheel. It has 310mm rotors on it. No part of it is in as good of condition as the one I agreed to buy. I did verify that it is straight though.

I know the wheels are compatible from an 09 to a 2013, but can a 2013 wheel be used on an 09? I have searched and searched but it seems like most just use 09 wheels with 2013 rotors and spacers, not the other way around though. I will most likely make him pay to ship it back for a refund, but if the wheel is usable on my 09 maybe I just lowball the shit out of him even more and keep it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170404_153939.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	60618   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170404_153337.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	60626  
MotoCT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 04-04-2017, 11:25 PM
Post Master General
 
Scorpi0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: LA, Cali
Posts: 9,446

I Ride: 06 636
Scorpi0 is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 04-04-2017, 11:56 PM
Pro Racer
 
insan3guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 646

I Ride: 2015 zx6r (30th annie ed.)
I could be completely mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that's an 09 wheel. (No TCS ring.) Also (again, I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about) it looks like it's just surface rust on the rotor. Comes off with a second or two of braking.

Quote:
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be misquoted and used against you in an internet fight
Quote:
Originally Posted by insan3guy
I'd rather be a smartass than a dumbass
insan3guy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 Old 04-05-2017, 04:59 AM
Post Master General
 
RJ2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bowling Green, VA
Posts: 7,577

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
That looks just like my '09 front rim.... you even got free wheel spacers.

"There's this adage that we have 2 ears and one mouth so we should listen twice as much as we talk. Unfortunately with the Internet people have taken this old adage and turned it around. They have two eyes and 10 fingers so they think they need to post 5 times as much as they read. And since they have 10 fingers and one brain, they only have to think 10% of the time! "
RJ2112 is online now  
post #5 of 20 Old 04-05-2017, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
MotoCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 306

I Ride: 2009 monster energy zx6r
Garage
I know it looks like an 09 rim but the rotors are definitely larger and do appear to be stock rotors. Also count the buttons around the rotor from one to the other. The wheel in question has 10 compared to 7.
Lastly, the shape of the forging differs from my 09. Kind of hard to explain but, From the spoke to the lip is like concave on this wheel and on mine it is smooth from spoke to lip.
So I would just need caliper spacers to run the larger rotors? I guess it could be a good thing then. Still not worth $275 to me with a bad tire. What do you guys think is a fair price? Thanks for the responses, trying to settle this today.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Omrra Novice #748
MotoCT is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 04-05-2017, 05:22 AM
Post Master General
 
RJ2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bowling Green, VA
Posts: 7,577

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
All I can go by is the pic in my sig.... that's my '09 front wheel..... I did just walk out and compare the number of rotor buttons.... my 09 also has 7 buttons vs. the ten you describe on the 'new' wheel.

I would wonder if that is a rim from an '09 ZX10?

"There's this adage that we have 2 ears and one mouth so we should listen twice as much as we talk. Unfortunately with the Internet people have taken this old adage and turned it around. They have two eyes and 10 fingers so they think they need to post 5 times as much as they read. And since they have 10 fingers and one brain, they only have to think 10% of the time! "
RJ2112 is online now  
post #7 of 20 Old 04-05-2017, 05:28 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,176

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Larger rotors = better! I'll swap you if you don't want them (assuming they're straight)

But that looks like an '09 wheel as well. Different rotors like you mentioned, but not that it really matters. It is BS that you got something different so regardless of good or not, you are entitled to file a claim with ebay and because you got something that was NOT accurately described and shown in the photos, you can get your money back. I finally had to do that for the first time when I bought a set of used rotors and one of them was warped pretty bad.

The other option is to keep it as is and not deal with the hassle since it will work just fine...and you got wheel spacers too.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle
sbk1198 is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 04-05-2017, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
MotoCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 306

I Ride: 2009 monster energy zx6r
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Larger rotors = better! I'll swap you if you don't want them (assuming they're straight)

But that looks like an '09 wheel as well. Different rotors like you mentioned, but not that it really matters. It is BS that you got something different so regardless of good or not, you are entitled to file a claim with ebay and because you got something that was NOT accurately described and shown in the photos, you can get your money back. I finally had to do that for the first time when I bought a set of used rotors and one of them was warped pretty bad.

The other option is to keep it as is and not deal with the hassle since it will work just fine...and you got wheel spacers too.
Haha well I feel a little bit better that it may work out in my favor. I did mount it and setup a mag base and indicator to check the runout of the wheel and rotors. Everything checks out straight. Another potential issue might be that the rotors have s minimum thickness callout of .020 less on the larger rotors. And they are about .020 thinner than mine still within their spec though.

You might be right RJ112, could be off an 09 zx10r.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Omrra Novice #748
MotoCT is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 04-05-2017, 06:13 AM
Team Green
 
mharrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mississippi, USA
Posts: 148
Garage
You should call out that eBay seller by name so others can avoid them. That's shady business right there.

Is there a thread on here where we rep eBay sellers? If not, maybe that would be a good idea to get going.
mharrison is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 04-05-2017, 07:57 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,176

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCT View Post
Haha well I feel a little bit better that it may work out in my favor. I did mount it and setup a mag base and indicator to check the runout of the wheel and rotors. Everything checks out straight. Another potential issue might be that the rotors have s minimum thickness callout of .020 less on the larger rotors. And they are about .020 thinner than mine still within their spec though.

You might be right RJ112, could be off an 09 zx10r.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk
Yeah they used different thicknesses on different models. I believe my '09 rotors say 5.5 mm on them, whereas the ones from '05-'08 models are 5.0 mm....or maybe it was 5.0 and 4.5 respectively, I can't recall now, but I know there is a 0.5 mm difference between their nominal thickness....which is 0.020" for any machinists here that refuse to use the SI system

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle
sbk1198 is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 04-05-2017, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
MotoCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 306

I Ride: 2009 monster energy zx6r
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Yeah they used different thicknesses on different models. I believe my '09 rotors say 5.5 mm on them, whereas the ones from '05-'08 models are 5.0 mm....or maybe it was 5.0 and 4.5 respectively, I can't recall now, but I know there is a 0.5 mm difference between their nominal thickness....which is 0.020" for any machinists here that refuse to use the SI system
Haha! Yeah I deal in .001" all day so it's just easier. But it is 5.5mm on the 09 and 5.0mm on this rotor. I was thinking it could be an issue with the calipers when switching back and forth.

To add to the story, while I was waiting on this part the seller received 3 negative feedbacks in a week! Only had 2 in the prior year. Username is "franc_max" if anyone is shopping around. I'll let you know what I hear back today. Here is how it was shipped too. The ups and downs of used parts on Ebay-20170404_152138.jpg
Cardboard cutouts and a shit ton of plastic wrap.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Omrra Novice #748
MotoCT is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 04-05-2017, 10:04 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Strider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,477

I Ride: 2009 ZX-6R
Garage
Yea, I had a similar experience when I bought a radiator for mine on eBay. The picture looked really good, but the item they shipped me was not the one in the picture, and it had quite a lot of bent fins. I told them about it, and they said, "yea, the shelf that the one in the picture was on fell over and ruined it, so we sent you this one and it works fine". It was very annoying, and they should have asked me first before sending a different item.

In the end, I straightened all the fins and used it, because it was fairly inexpensive compared to others I found.

In your situation with that rim though, I would probably send it back and look elsewhere for the correct rim and rotors. I bought a set (front and back) of 05-06 rims (these are the same as the 2009) without rotors from a forum member for $225. I just bought some rotors separately from another forum member and from eBay (around $140 total).

Winner - 6OTM - March 2014
2009 ZX-6R (65,695 miles and counting) | www.ZX6R.us | www.Seaton007.com

M4 GP Slip-on | ASV C5 Levers | Spiegler SS Brake Lines | SpeedoHealer V4
Custom FE | K&N Air Filter | Vortex Sprockets -1/+2 | EK MVXZ Chain

Last edited by Strider; 04-05-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Strider is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 04-05-2017, 10:17 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,176

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
I got my rotors for $80 shipped off ebay (the 2nd time around) and wheels I think I paid something like $250, but the rear wheel was from a local guy I know and gave it to me for $50. $300-$350 is more of a typical price I've seen for these wheels online.
@MotoCT , there isn't any issues with the calipers if switching back and forth with different thickness rotors, you just need to make sure that you set your fluid in the reservoir right. In other words if you set it for the thicker rotors, make sure that when you put the thinner ones on the fluid level won't drop too low, and likewise if you do it the other way make sure when you go to the thicker rotors that the fluid level isn't too high.

Realistically 0.020" isn't much difference considering the difference between brand new brake pads and worn out ones is closer to 0.150-0.200" added together (half for each pad).
MotoCT likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle
sbk1198 is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 04-05-2017, 10:28 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
jd41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Monterey, California
Posts: 2,582

I Ride: 2014 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Garage
I bought two brake rotors off ebay. One new, one used . . . both warped. ebay is cheap but I now know the pictures do not represent what I will receive.

Martillo y Mantequilla #99
jd41 is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 04-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Superbike Champion
 
TC636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lousiana. U.S.
Posts: 965

I Ride: 06 kaw 636 and women
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Yea, I had a similar experience when I bought a radiator for mine on eBay. The picture looked really good, but the item they shipped me was not the one in the picture, and it had quite a lot of bent fins. I told them about it, and they said, "yea, the shelf that the one in the picture was on fell over and ruined it, so we sent you this one and it works fine". It was very annoying, and they should have asked me first before sending a different item.

In the end, I straightened all the fins and used it, because it was fairly inexpensive compared to others I found.

In your situation with that rim though, I would probably send it back and look elsewhere for the correct rim and rotors. I bought a set (front and back) of 05-06 rims (these are the same as the 2009) without rotors from a forum member for $225. I just bought some rotors separately from another forum member and from eBay (around $140 total).
The bait and switch method with your radiator. Lol

BALLZEE, GO HARD OR GO HOME
TC636 is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with 2nd gear clutch ups... Fudala847 Stunting 19 08-05-2013 01:51 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome