Bought my first bike less than a month ago & dropped it twice already. - Page 3 - ZX6R Forum
 304Likes
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 171 Old 06-20-2016, 01:35 PM
Post Master General
 
PowerGroove's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Moorpark, California
Posts: 10,745

I Ride: 2009 ZX-6R - track / 2012 ZX-6R - project / 1986 DR200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaFiA View Post
Updated original post with pics. To the guy saying he calls BS,lol. Call it what you will, but I've done it on a few occasions and I admit it's appalling. I let my adrenaline get the best of me.

& as for the asshole claiming I'm going to ignore everybody's advice and hurt myself again you can go ahead and suck a fat one you lame. I came here because I realized the error in my ways and I came here for help. The experience was very humbling and I don't need virgin motherfuckers like you throwing salt in the wound. People can change; in fact they do it all the time.
MaFIA... first off. Just realize that we see this type of post a lot and that typically the person posting lets their ego get in the way of actual learning. As you stated, you're here. That, in and of itself, is a good step. The next is to listen to those of us giving you good information. Only reason we know this stuff is through experience. The reason we're so hard on many like you in this type of situation is because many of us have friends or family, of know someone who has lost someone due to riding like that.

So take it with a grain of salt. I can usually tell right away how a thread like this will go. You've already surprised me with your open mind. Just keep it up.

The guy is being a hardass because it deserves it. And I would second his notion on that... I just worded mine differently is all.
Gawernator likes this.

“Why do I ride as number 69? Well, it’s a number that you can still read when the bike is upside down after a crash." - Nicky Hayden

YouTube Channel - Powergroove75
PowerGroove is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 171 Old 06-20-2016, 01:37 PM
Post Master General
 
PowerGroove's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Moorpark, California
Posts: 10,745

I Ride: 2009 ZX-6R - track / 2012 ZX-6R - project / 1986 DR200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaFiA View Post




OK... now that I can see these...

I say ride it. Enjoy it. Learn how to ride it.

That's not that bad at ALL!!!
AlexZX6R, Gawernator and Necron99 like this.

“Why do I ride as number 69? Well, it’s a number that you can still read when the bike is upside down after a crash." - Nicky Hayden

YouTube Channel - Powergroove75
PowerGroove is offline  
post #33 of 171 Old 06-20-2016, 01:38 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
Sandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,222

I Ride: 16 WRX, 11 Fusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerGroove View Post
Two (actually 3) things that secure my thoughts on WHY you shouldn't have started on that particular displacement bike.

1. Your own sentiments about riding like a doofas. "so I'm getting overly confident and riding like a dumbass." At least you realize that you're riding like a dumbass. These aren't toys. Do you love your girlfriend? Do you want her to have to get "that phoone call". I think not. Slow your roll man.

2. "This literally isn't even a case of "newbies shouldn't start on a 600" unless you want to mention the fact that my bike is heavier than a 250/300 which made it harder to regain control or whatever but alas, what's done is done." - Actually.... this is a perfect case for that "newbies shouldn't" statement. The reason isn't the power or the weight. It's the cost. As a new rider you WILL... let me repeat that.... YOU WILL DROP THE BIKE. So you have a $10k+ bike and you've got about a gnats ass worth of experience compared to someone who's been riding over a year. If you had bought a used starter bike... the overall cost of fixing it (if you even wanted to ... or even HAD to) would be considerably less than that pretty anniversary edition 636. Period. The end. See.... I didn't bring displacement OR weight into that reasoning.

3. You have absolutely NO experience and you're already riding at 90+ between cars? See again that part about your girlfriend getting "that call". Then replace it with "your family". It's "OK" to start on that bike... IF YOU RESPECT IT. It's not a bike that takes well to mistakes. Which as a new rider YOU WILL MAKE. (see #2 for expensive repairs).

Hopefully you've learned some valuable lessons with your new hobby. I'd seriously suggest that you take a more advanced class. MSF teaches you bascic operation of a motorcycle. It doesn't teach you control. Another option is to find a big open parking lot and learn how to stop the bike. Seriously... sounds stupid but start... then stop. Do it over and over again. Get used to the brakes. Learn how to turn. Learn how to shift properly.

AND GET SOME GOOD GEAR. (if you haven't already.)


My hero
Sandman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 171 Old 06-20-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 55
I hear you guys but the damn thing isn't even a month old to me. I got it with 2 miles it now has around 350 and she already looks like she's in an abusive relationship... would you believe me if I told you i planned on getting a liter bike in 2 years because "I can tell the 6 isn't gonna be enough" ENOUGH FOR WHAT?! what the hell is wrong with me? I can't post how ashamed I am of myself. My whole approach from the jump was wrong..
PowerGroove likes this.
MaFiA is offline  
post #35 of 171 Old 06-20-2016, 01:46 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
Schooley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,904
Ok, we are being trolled for sure.
lockey99 likes this.
Schooley is offline  
post #36 of 171 Old 06-20-2016, 01:51 PM
World Superbike Racer
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Toronto Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,331
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaFiA View Post
... would you believe me if I told you i planned on getting a liter bike in 2 years because "I can tell the 6 isn't gonna be enough" ..
annnnddddd I'm out!
AlexZX6R likes this.
27869 is offline  
post #37 of 171 Old 06-20-2016, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooley View Post
Ok, we are being trolled for sure.
I seriously wish that was the case. If you'd like I can take a picture of me facepalming next to my pristine Camaro and my beaten Ninja. I lack discipline and at 25 I really feel as though I still live like a teenager. I got my own place, a nice car and nice bike so I have great work ethic and other redeeming qualities, but my bad character traits are REALLY bad man
PowerGroove likes this.
MaFiA is offline  
post #38 of 171 Old 06-20-2016, 02:05 PM
Track Star
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Long Island
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryonass View Post
Lane splitting at 90+ with a couple months of experience? I call BS! No way someone is that stupid. I've been riding for 6 years and I don't even lane split above 20/30mph, that is just on highway traffic. Either this is a troll post or this guy has no desire to live. Think about it, 90+mph between cars, what rider would do this? Let alone someone that is new! Don't endanger other commuters because you don't care about your life.
The first time ever I got on a bike I was going over 100MPH, by the third month I was lane splitting at over 130MPH and the following years I was lane splitting at an indicated 180MPH on my 900RR... That was 17 years ago and I am just glad my foolishness did not cost me or some innocent family our lives. I had a friend that was doing the same thing and he was doing it all even faster then me. I wanted to be like him so bad, so I kept pushing. He ended up dying while lane splitting at high speed... I stopped there after... This was 15 years ago and not until about 3 years ago, I thought I was not foolish. I started doing track and realized I was still an idiot on the road. OP You have people who love you and as great as the need for speed is in you, the risk to yourself or a family is not worth it... As some have mentioned here, take it to the track. Way more fun and much less risk...
2y4life, 27869 and MaFiA like this.
Sabotage is offline  
post #39 of 171 Old 06-20-2016, 02:24 PM
Post Master General
 
PowerGroove's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Moorpark, California
Posts: 10,745

I Ride: 2009 ZX-6R - track / 2012 ZX-6R - project / 1986 DR200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaFiA View Post
I hear you guys but the damn thing isn't even a month old to me. I got it with 2 miles it now has around 350 and she already looks like she's in an abusive relationship... would you believe me if I told you i planned on getting a liter bike in 2 years because "I can tell the 6 isn't gonna be enough" ENOUGH FOR WHAT?! what the hell is wrong with me? I can't post how ashamed I am of myself. My whole approach from the jump was wrong..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaFiA View Post
I seriously wish that was the case. If you'd like I can take a picture of me facepalming next to my pristine Camaro and my beaten Ninja. I lack discipline and at 25 I really feel as though I still live like a teenager. I got my own place, a nice car and nice bike so I have great work ethic and other redeeming qualities, but my bad character traits are REALLY bad man
You, sir, need a few thousand miles to get used to the bike a bit more... then you need to start going to the track with it. It's the ONE place you can push yours and the bikes capabilities without putting innocent people (and yourself) at too much risk.

And your girl can come watch you ride. She'll think you're awesome. You'll get married and have babies. Divorce... custody battles. And you'll still be able to blow off steam at the track. And maybe meet the new future ex MaFIA.

“Why do I ride as number 69? Well, it’s a number that you can still read when the bike is upside down after a crash." - Nicky Hayden

YouTube Channel - Powergroove75
PowerGroove is offline  
post #40 of 171 Old 06-20-2016, 02:26 PM
Pro Racer
 
lockey99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Poole, Dorset
Posts: 727

I Ride: 03 gsxr600 (sold) 08 zx6r (sold) 08 r1 (current)
This thread is fascinating on so many levels. I am about to lay my weary head to sleep as iv had a long day....can't wait til I wake up tomorrow and see the next chapter.

Oh and incase the op is for real, judging by your remorse, I suggest you stockpile a whole bunch of anti depressants together because you will need them in the very near future....providing you live past the point where the shit really starts to get real I can assure you a few scratches will seem like heaven compared to what lays ahead of you if you continue to ride the way you say you are / not to mention with the experience you say you have. Your only chance for your (and your bikes) survival is to follow the advice given by others to the absolute t. Good luck.
lockey99 is offline  
post #41 of 171 Old 06-20-2016, 02:36 PM
Post Master General
 
PowerGroove's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Moorpark, California
Posts: 10,745

I Ride: 2009 ZX-6R - track / 2012 ZX-6R - project / 1986 DR200
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockey99 View Post
This thread is fascinating on so many levels. I am about to lay my weary head to sleep as iv had a long day....can't wait til I wake up tomorrow and see the next chapter.

Oh and incase the op is for real, judging by your remorse, I suggest you stockpile a whole bunch of anti depressants together because you will need them in the very near future....providing you live past the point where the shit really starts to get real I can assure you a few scratches will seem like heaven compared to what lays ahead of you if you continue to ride the way you say you are / not to mention with the experience you say you have. Your only chance for your (and your bikes) survival is to follow the advice given by others to the absolute t. Good luck.
Exactly!

OP: You could be riding around with this Trust me.... your scratches on the side aren't costly. New clips ons, a fuel tank, and rearsets will set ya back about a grand. Just sayin'! This was from my crash at Laguna Seca (a racetrack.... had I gone down in the same fashion on the street... I might have hit an oncoming car or who the hell knows!)



Yes... that's the tank on my bike. Still works! Still rides like a beast! Looks like shit! (I have a fresh tank to put on it now though hehehe)

“Why do I ride as number 69? Well, it’s a number that you can still read when the bike is upside down after a crash." - Nicky Hayden

YouTube Channel - Powergroove75
PowerGroove is offline  
post #42 of 171 Old 06-20-2016, 02:40 PM
FTD
Squid
 
FTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 71

I Ride: Fast in the fast parts, slow in the slow parts
Consider the confidence you have in your decision making as opposed to resting in the confidence of your riding skill. If you can't consistently make good decisions while controlling your impulses I recommend selling the bike as opposed to fixing it.
PowerGroove likes this.
FTD is offline  
post #43 of 171 Old 06-20-2016, 03:15 PM
Team Green
 
uKER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Uruguay
Posts: 120

I Ride: 2013 ZX-6R 636
Garage
Well, I had originally uploaded this pic as part of my story when nominating my bike for 6OTM.
It didn't work out as I didn't even get nominated, so I figure I'll use the pic for something else.

This is the result of crashing the bike at a little over 40 MPH into a bicycle rider that ran a red light just as I was making it through.



Crashes don't come cheap, man.
Take care of your bike, and especially, of yourself.
PowerGroove and Snowdaysrule1 like this.
uKER is offline  
post #44 of 171 Old 06-20-2016, 04:34 PM
Team Green
 
ryonass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: MD
Posts: 170

I Ride: 2011 ZX-6R
OP if you read my post. I'm not calling BS that you are doing 90+ splitting lanes. I'm calling BS anyone could be that stupid, but since you are doing exactly that, you have proved me wrong. Just hope you listen to all of these ppl here and stay safe.
2y4life likes this.
ryonass is offline  
post #45 of 171 Old 06-20-2016, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 55
Anybody in or near Chicago that rides? When I do get myself mentally prepared to ride again I wanna go with a group
MaFiA is offline  
Closed Thread

  ZX6R Forum > Lobby > New Users

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't Decide what bike to buy jayx The ZX6R 28 10-11-2016 06:39 PM
Initial Review of my Aprilia RSV4R. almazing Motorcycle Talk 15 06-09-2015 08:44 AM
road legal 2005 kawasaki zx6r c1h stunt bike for sale LeehtZx6R United Kingdom 8 01-20-2014 12:01 PM
Got bored, wanted to see how much money I was saving riding bike vs. car Eurodriver The ZX6R 12 12-09-2013 09:16 AM
ok I got my bike month ago sanco1988 Mechanical and Technical 3 08-14-2013 07:16 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome