New (female!) member from California - Page 2 - ZX6R Forum
 68Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 65 Old 12-01-2016, 09:13 PM
Pro Racer
 
madmax31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacifica, CA.
Posts: 699

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R, 2009 ZX6R Track
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpi0 View Post
.......aaaaand shes gone.
most likely. probably got bombarded with pm's

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdayhero View Post
I bought a brand new 2014 ZX10R for $10k even 2 years ago. I would think you should be able to find a brand new 6 for not more than that.
not as likely to happen in this area of california. the bay area is crazy expensive with everything. Tokyo status and beyond
Addhoc likes this.
madmax31 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 65 Old 12-01-2016, 10:04 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 2,962

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Wasn't there someone who posted a similar thread looking for a newish zx6r, and someone found a dealer in southern cali that had leftover 2015 brand new for like 8600 bucks?? Pretty sure I saw something like that about 2-3 weeks ago. Back in 2010, my roommate bought a brand new leftover 2009 zx6r for $7600. Back then the MSRP on them was $10,600.
Gawernator and giraffe like this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
sbk1198 is online now  
post #18 of 65 Old 12-02-2016, 12:22 AM
World Superbike Champion
 
Gawernator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hayward, CA
Posts: 1,894

I Ride: 2015 ZX-6R 636; 2009 250R; 1999 KX125
Garage
I was out the door 12.1k on a brand new 2015 ZX6R in 2015.... I would think you could do 11k on a 2015. K&B motorsports maybe in Petaluma. That 2013 used will be the best value. Let's ride bay area folks
giraffe likes this.

Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors:
Spears Racing | JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | BraKing | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | Incipio/Incase | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Outlaw Racing/Pit Posse Motorsports | Shorai Inc. | SPY+ | Vortex | Woodcraft
Gawernator is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19 of 65 Old 12-02-2016, 07:18 AM
ZX6r.com Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Necron99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 409

I Ride: ZX-6R, Concours 1400
Welcome. Good luck with your search. Some people like that experience. Others like me just want to get it over, have a decent relationship with a good service oriented business, and ride.


For the record, I'll bet she comes back. She seems tougher than some of y'all are giving her credit.
giraffe likes this.
Necron99 is offline  
post #20 of 65 Old 12-02-2016, 07:44 AM
ZX6r.com Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Necron99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 409

I Ride: ZX-6R, Concours 1400
And did you really join on your birthday? Happy Birthday!
giraffe likes this.
Necron99 is offline  
post #21 of 65 Old 12-02-2016, 10:41 AM
Post Master General
 
PowerGroove's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Moorpark, California
Posts: 10,599

I Ride: 2009 ZX-6R - track / 2012 ZX-6R - project TBA
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffe View Post
Hi, everyone! I'm newly registered and this is officially post #1 but I've been lurking here and there for a while. I'm from the San Francisco area and have been on a Honda CBR500R for my first bike and am just about to log 15,000 miles. Mom and dad still aren't thrilled but I'm having the time of my life. Unfortunately, I've been looking for 7th gear and a little bit more from my 500R for a while; I think I'm about ready to plunk down some money for a ZX-6R but will still keep my 1st bike. Call me sentimental!

First order of business - What should I be expecting to pay OTD for a 2015 or 2016 that's new? I spoke to 2 dealerships today and OTD with taxes, title, docs, fees, etc is $12K. How is that? Should I wait a couple more months?

Thanks for the warm welcome, tips, advice, humor (nothing offends and there's nothing you can take too far!), and information.

Ready? Set? Enable me!
Welcome out!

Having been in the business of bike sales and I'm in the same state I can shed some light. Right now, with rebates, the 2016's are priced around $9999. With dealer setup charges and tax+lic and fees, that will put you right about $11,800-$12,000 range at most dealerships. The only thing you really have for bargaining power at those prices are 1) a trade in (if you have it). or 2) the dealer setup and freight fees.

Personally I always say go with as much money off of the new bike before haggling for more in the trade. You'll pay taxes on the new bike so the less you pay for the bike, the fewer taxes you'll shell out. Also calculates a buck or two in registration too.

Dealer freight and setup is a real thing. Look at the sticker price on a new car and see at the bottom where it shows the "destination charge". Cars come turnkey. Bikes don't. And while the factories pay to get cars to dealerships, it's not the case for motorcycle dealers. Some pay more for shipping than others but generally it's about the same everywhere. Setup charges get the bike out of the crate, bits and pieces of final adjustments and getting it ready for you is cost incurred by the dealer to get the bike ready. Their paying someone to do it. Of course they're making some profit as well on both. It's how much of that profit they'll eat which is the key.

Personally I think that's a pretty fair deal but don't be afraid to call around. Then give your LOCAL dealer a shot LAST. If they can match a deal within $50-$100 it's a good deal. This does 2 things. It means you don't have to drive far and pick up a bike from 100 miles away and truck it back. Figure a $100 day of gas and lunch. (That's saved money) Secondly... it puts the tax dollars you spend into YOUR local economy and not some other county or city.

Have fun!
giraffe likes this.


2 time 6OTM winner. January 2012 / January 2016


YouTube Channel - Powergroove75

Last edited by PowerGroove; 12-02-2016 at 10:43 AM.
PowerGroove is offline  
post #22 of 65 Old 12-02-2016, 10:44 PM
Track Star
 
racerboy88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Home of 2010 Olympics
Posts: 379

I Ride: 03 YZF-R1, 04 ZX6R 636
Welcome


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
giraffe likes this.

Fueled by rice

03 Yamaha YZF-R1 se
04 Kawasaki Orange ZX6R
02 R1-stolen
95 ZX6R-sold
racerboy88 is offline  
post #23 of 65 Old 12-02-2016, 11:08 PM
World Superbike Champion
 
Gawernator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hayward, CA
Posts: 1,894

I Ride: 2015 ZX-6R 636; 2009 250R; 1999 KX125
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerGroove View Post
Welcome out!

Having been in the business of bike sales and I'm in the same state I can shed some light. Right now, with rebates, the 2016's are priced around $9999. With dealer setup charges and tax+lic and fees, that will put you right about $11,800-$12,000 range at most dealerships. The only thing you really have for bargaining power at those prices are 1) a trade in (if you have it). or 2) the dealer setup and freight fees.

Personally I always say go with as much money off of the new bike before haggling for more in the trade. You'll pay taxes on the new bike so the less you pay for the bike, the fewer taxes you'll shell out. Also calculates a buck or two in registration too.

Dealer freight and setup is a real thing. Look at the sticker price on a new car and see at the bottom where it shows the "destination charge". Cars come turnkey. Bikes don't. And while the factories pay to get cars to dealerships, it's not the case for motorcycle dealers. Some pay more for shipping than others but generally it's about the same everywhere. Setup charges get the bike out of the crate, bits and pieces of final adjustments and getting it ready for you is cost incurred by the dealer to get the bike ready. Their paying someone to do it. Of course they're making some profit as well on both. It's how much of that profit they'll eat which is the key.

Personally I think that's a pretty fair deal but don't be afraid to call around. Then give your LOCAL dealer a shot LAST. If they can match a deal within $50-$100 it's a good deal. This does 2 things. It means you don't have to drive far and pick up a bike from 100 miles away and truck it back. Figure a $100 day of gas and lunch. (That's saved money) Secondly... it puts the tax dollars you spend into YOUR local economy and not some other county or city.

Have fun!
The setup isn't hardly an hour's work. Setup fee is 95% profit for the dealership.... source: retired mechanics
giraffe likes this.

Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors:
Spears Racing | JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | BraKing | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | Incipio/Incase | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Outlaw Racing/Pit Posse Motorsports | Shorai Inc. | SPY+ | Vortex | Woodcraft
Gawernator is offline  
post #24 of 65 Old 12-02-2016, 11:28 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 2,962

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
The setup isn't hardly an hour's work. Setup fee is 95% profit for the dealership.... source: retired mechanics
For used bikes. For new it's quite a bit more. Have you ever seen a motorcycle crate, and how they're shipped? It's not as simple as a cardboard box lol. It can take 1-2 hours just to get the damn thing out.
PowerGroove likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
sbk1198 is online now  
post #25 of 65 Old 12-03-2016, 12:27 AM
World Superbike Champion
 
Gawernator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hayward, CA
Posts: 1,894

I Ride: 2015 ZX-6R 636; 2009 250R; 1999 KX125
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
For used bikes. For new it's quite a bit more. Have you ever seen a motorcycle crate, and how they're shipped? It's not as simple as a cardboard box lol. It can take 1-2 hours just to get the damn thing out.
Maybe they've changed things.... the guy I know from Ducati didn't have that trouble

Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors:
Spears Racing | JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | BraKing | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | Incipio/Incase | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Outlaw Racing/Pit Posse Motorsports | Shorai Inc. | SPY+ | Vortex | Woodcraft
Gawernator is offline  
post #26 of 65 Old 12-03-2016, 04:26 AM
Post Master General
 
RJ2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bowling Green, VA
Posts: 7,005

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
If someone wants to talk numbers.... if you can buy a new bike and roll it out the door for the MSRP with no other taxes, fees, anything.... that's a deal the shop can live with.
PowerGroove likes this.

"There's this adage that we have 2 ears and one mouth so we should listen twice as much as we talk. Unfortunately with the Internet people have taken this old adage and turned it around. They have two eyes and 10 fingers so they think they need to post 5 times as much as they read. And since they have 10 fingers and one brain, they only have to think 10% of the time! "
RJ2112 is offline  
post #27 of 65 Old 12-03-2016, 07:58 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 2,962

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
Maybe they've changed things.... the guy I know from Ducati didn't have that trouble
I was thinking of Ducatis actually when I said that, since that's what I'm more familiar with and I've been in the shop at my Ducati dealer dozens of times and saw them do it....I can only assume it's the same for other brands though as well. They come in a wooden crate than you have to take a bunch of screws out to open it and inside the bike is held in place by a steel-frame like thing that also has a bunch of screws and bars you have to remove. And depending on bike and probably manufacturer, they may or may not be shipped with the necessary fluids, or battery connected, and things like that.

For a used bike, all they usually have to do is put a temp license plate on. 3 minutes of work lol. Those are already good to go.
Gawernator likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
sbk1198 is online now  
post #28 of 65 Old 12-03-2016, 11:08 AM
MrZ
World Superbike Racer
 
MrZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Athens / Greece
Posts: 1,135

I Ride: my sexy Julia
Garage
I wish i could have this box delivered at my door and let me to the whole process on my own!!!!


Oh, i forgot...zx6r officially discontinued for Europe
MrZ is offline  
post #29 of 65 Old 12-03-2016, 01:29 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 2,962

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
I wish i could have this box delivered at my door and let me to the whole process on my own!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg4rDCWCL_8

Oh, i forgot...zx6r officially discontinued for Europe
Wait what?? What do you mean the zx6r is discontinued in europe?? Since when?

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
sbk1198 is online now  
post #30 of 65 Old 12-03-2016, 03:42 PM
Track Star
 
PinoyRider88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 285

I Ride: '13 ZX-6R
Garage
Welcome! Any reason you want a 15 or 16? Their might be some used 13s around. But I must say I love the aesthetics they did with the 16.

And how in the world do you survive all the emission and inspection laws and regulations of CA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
OH,, do a track day or ten.
Best advice in the world Indy
Addhoc and giraffe like this.

2013 ZX-6R
Hindle Exhaust(Can), SHOGUN FS, ASV shorty levers, 8000k HID, Renthal C/O, BMC Airfilter.
"It's not about how fast you go, its about how fast you go in a corner"
PinoyRider88 is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > Lobby > New Users

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New member from South California PLCZX6R New Users 3 02-28-2016 09:52 PM
Southern California - New Member IvyLeague New Users 17 02-17-2014 07:02 PM
New member from OC, California! thezxclass New Users 4 08-05-2013 07:00 PM
New member from California Con Air 707 New Users 13 04-21-2012 12:54 PM
New Member from the California Bay Area 06ZX6R New Users 13 04-21-2011 11:32 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome