New Member & First Bike - ZX6R Forum
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 01-12-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Ghostt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: South Coast
Posts: 8

I Ride: Kawasaki ZX636R '06'
New Member & First Bike

Hi all, after years and years of dreaming of owning my own bike and being road legal, I finally set out and got my licence last year and just brought myself an '06' ZX636R. Looking forward to getting out and enjoying it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Kawasaki ZX636R.PNG
Views:	32
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	53425  
Scorpi0 and Andie0 like this.
Ghostt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 01-12-2017, 05:43 PM
Squid
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alabama, USA
Posts: 66
Nice bike and welcome. I see you are in the UK. How hard was it to get your license for a 600, always thought they had to start small and work up.

You will find this is a great group, lots of good info on topics from street to race to parts to techniques to repairs.
PhotoAl is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 01-12-2017, 06:59 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
Jperez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Los Angeles, C.A.
Posts: 2,879

I Ride: 2012 ZX6R
Nice bike. Welcome.
Jperez is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 Old 01-12-2017, 07:39 PM
Post Master General
 
RJ2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bowling Green, VA
Posts: 7,387

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Welcome.

"There's this adage that we have 2 ears and one mouth so we should listen twice as much as we talk. Unfortunately with the Internet people have taken this old adage and turned it around. They have two eyes and 10 fingers so they think they need to post 5 times as much as they read. And since they have 10 fingers and one brain, they only have to think 10% of the time! "
RJ2112 is online now  
post #5 of 19 Old 01-12-2017, 11:55 PM
Team Green
 
Andie0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Kent, uk
Posts: 175
Where abouts uk?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andie0 is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 01-13-2017, 02:09 AM
Rab
Squid
 
Rab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Posts: 89

I Ride: ZX6-R 636 A1P
Garage
I am a massive fan of that model, takes 2nd place only to my A1P in my list of faves (that's only due to mine being a boyhood dream)
Rab is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 01-13-2017, 11:13 AM
Post Master General
 
RJ2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bowling Green, VA
Posts: 7,387

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
OP,

On any bike that is new to you and has some years on it, be prepared to spend some time sorting out niggling problems.

A lot of the time, there will electrical issues. Frequently, this is in some way related to corrosion in the contacts of connectors in the system. For this reason, it is a good idea to purchase some dielectric grease, and spend the time to pull apart the connectors and flood the interior with the grease. Physically pulling the male and female pins apart will scratch through the corrosion and allow them to make good electrical contact. The grease provides a barrier to oxygen, so there won't be any more corrosion.

Switch gear on the bars tends to trap water. The micro switches that tell the ECU the position of the clutch lever, and the side stand are prone to gumming up due to dirt. It's a good idea to ensure these tiny switches are working as intended. Flooding those with WD-40, and then exercising them so you know they move freely will save you a lot of heartache later.

A fresh battery, with clean connections to the harness is another point of confidence.

Tire maintenance amounts to making sure you have legal tread, and that the tires are less than 5 years old.

the chain, the oil, the brake fluid, lighting..... all of it benefits from attention to detail.

It's a really good idea to download the shop manual and inspect the bike according to what's required there. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

"There's this adage that we have 2 ears and one mouth so we should listen twice as much as we talk. Unfortunately with the Internet people have taken this old adage and turned it around. They have two eyes and 10 fingers so they think they need to post 5 times as much as they read. And since they have 10 fingers and one brain, they only have to think 10% of the time! "
RJ2112 is online now  
post #8 of 19 Old 01-13-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Ghostt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: South Coast
Posts: 8

I Ride: Kawasaki ZX636R '06'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperez View Post
Nice bike. Welcome.
Thanks 😁👍🏼
Ghostt is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 01-13-2017, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Ghostt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: South Coast
Posts: 8

I Ride: Kawasaki ZX636R '06'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andie0 View Post
Where abouts uk?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Near Brighton, Yourself?
Ghostt is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 01-13-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Ghostt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: South Coast
Posts: 8

I Ride: Kawasaki ZX636R '06'
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoAl View Post
Nice bike and welcome. I see you are in the UK. How hard was it to get your license for a 600, always thought they had to start small and work up.

You will find this is a great group, lots of good info on topics from street to race to parts to techniques to repairs.
Thank you i love it 😁 I had to do a 3 day course which involved 2 day's training and on the 3rd i had to complete Module 1 then Module 2 which i managed to pass both without any minors which i was really pleased about. i took her for a spin to work today - cold but was a very enjoyable commute to work 😁
Ghostt is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 01-13-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Ghostt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: South Coast
Posts: 8

I Ride: Kawasaki ZX636R '06'
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2112 View Post
OP,

On any bike that is new to you and has some years on it, be prepared to spend some time sorting out niggling problems.

A lot of the time, there will electrical issues. Frequently, this is in some way related to corrosion in the contacts of connectors in the system. For this reason, it is a good idea to purchase some dielectric grease, and spend the time to pull apart the connectors and flood the interior with the grease. Physically pulling the male and female pins apart will scratch through the corrosion and allow them to make good electrical contact. The grease provides a barrier to oxygen, so there won't be any more corrosion.

Switch gear on the bars tends to trap water. The micro switches that tell the ECU the position of the clutch lever, and the side stand are prone to gumming up due to dirt. It's a good idea to ensure these tiny switches are working as intended. Flooding those with WD-40, and then exercising them so you know they move freely will save you a lot of heartache later.

A fresh battery, with clean connections to the harness is another point of confidence.

Tire maintenance amounts to making sure you have legal tread, and that the tires are less than 5 years old.

the chain, the oil, the brake fluid, lighting..... all of it benefits from attention to detail.

It's a really good idea to download the shop manual and inspect the bike according to what's required there. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Thanks for the advice very much appreciated, i have had to change the front brake switch, it's got a brand new battery & front tyre and i have a new rear tyre that i'm having fitted this weekend. I can see this forum being very helpful.
Ghostt is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 01-14-2017, 02:26 AM
Team Green
 
Andie0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Kent, uk
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Near Brighton, Yourself?


I'm in Kent. My sister had a pub in Crawley that isn't to far from Brighton. When the weather is better I hope to get a few members out from the south to do a ride out.
I'll let you no if I can manage it, hard to get everyone free at same time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andie0 is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 01-14-2017, 04:46 AM
Post Master General
 
RJ2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bowling Green, VA
Posts: 7,387

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Thanks for the advice very much appreciated, i have had to change the front brake switch, it's got a brand new battery & front tyre and i have a new rear tyre that i'm having fitted this weekend. I can see this forum being very helpful.
I got this sort of introduction when I first arrived on this forum, looking for a shop manual for my bike.

I've stuck around because there is almost always something I can learn from the community.

If I can give something back, I do. That's how we keep it alive and maintain it's worth.

Knowledge is power. The more you know, the better it gets.
Strider likes this.

"There's this adage that we have 2 ears and one mouth so we should listen twice as much as we talk. Unfortunately with the Internet people have taken this old adage and turned it around. They have two eyes and 10 fingers so they think they need to post 5 times as much as they read. And since they have 10 fingers and one brain, they only have to think 10% of the time! "
RJ2112 is online now  
post #14 of 19 Old 01-15-2017, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Ghostt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: South Coast
Posts: 8

I Ride: Kawasaki ZX636R '06'
Hi Andie, keep me posted as I'd be more than happy to meet up for a ride.
Andie0 likes this.
Ghostt is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 01-15-2017, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Ghostt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: South Coast
Posts: 8

I Ride: Kawasaki ZX636R '06'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andie0 View Post
I'm in Kent. My sister had a pub in Crawley that isn't to far from Brighton. When the weather is better I hope to get a few members out from the south to do a ride out.
I'll let you no if I can manage it, hard to get everyone free at same time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Andie, keep me posted as id be more that happy to meet up for a ride.
Ghostt is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > Lobby > New Users

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selling my bike :( 2008 KAWASAKI ZX 600 ZX6R P7F GREEN 2007 zx6rp7f Classifieds 2 04-07-2016 10:23 AM
06 636 Track bike build M4Kenzie Racing 1 05-05-2014 10:59 AM
hope this bike isn't a member on here Burnt toast The ZX6R 64 01-29-2014 11:15 PM
New Member With a New Bike and Project Lt Dann New Users 19 07-30-2013 11:25 AM
FS: 2009 ZX6R Race Track Street Bike Package volcom415 Classifieds 55 03-18-2012 04:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome