ZX6R Issues - ZX6R Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Strider
  • 1 Post By Strider
  • 1 Post By RoidRageFool
  • 1 Post By Midway2282
  • 1 Post By RJ2112
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-27-2017, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2
ZX6R Issues

Hey Guys,

I was hoping someone could help me trouble shoot my 2007 Ninja Zx6r.

I took out my bike for the first time on the road two days ago. The bike start Perfectly with no issues. I then came to a stop and accidentally stalled the bike. The issue started when the bike would not turn back on after the stall. My friend had to push to start the bike for it to turn on again.

We figured it was the battery. So,I bought a brand new battery and installed it. The bike started up great again and we notice the light were much brighter then before. I test drove the bike around the neighborhood and the bike ran great. The following day we went out for ride. The bike started up with no issues. We drove around for 25 minutes and stop to pick up some contacts ( again no issues bike ran great). Parked the bikes for about ten minutes and came back to start the bike and the results were disappointing. The bike would not start. We had to push start the bike again for it to turn back on. We decide to go eat and left the bike park for about and hour. We figure we would have to push start the bike again but the bike turn on with out a problem. This only made us more confuse as to what the issue could be. I drove the bike back and I notice that I lost the head lights and the gear indicator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
cperez57 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 03-27-2017, 10:09 AM
ZX6r.com Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Indy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Indianapolis, In
Posts: 1,255
Garage
First, hello and welcome to the forum. Second why not take a minute or ten and say HI in the new members section.

Let's go over what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cperez57 View Post
Hey Guys,

I was hoping someone could help me trouble shoot my 2007 Ninja Zx6r.

I took out my bike for the first time on the road two days ago. The bike start Perfectly with no issues. I then came to a stop and accidentally stalled the bike. The issue started when the bike would not turn back on after the stall. My friend had to push to start the bike for it to turn on again.
First time this year?
Reading between the lines, "turn back on" that means it would not fire up? OR the bike would not turn over? OR it was dead and the cluster wasn't on. Have to guess it was the first or second choice.

Quote:
We figured it was the battery. So,I bought a brand new battery and installed it. The bike started up great again and we notice the light were much brighter then before. I test drove the bike around the neighborhood and the bike ran great. The following day we went out for ride. The bike started up with no issues. We drove around for 25 minutes and stop to pick up some contacts ( again no issues bike ran great). Parked the bikes for about ten minutes and came back to start the bike and the results were disappointing. The bike would not start. We had to push start the bike again for it to turn back on. We decide to go eat and left the bike park for about and hour. We figure we would have to push start the bike again but the bike turn on with out a problem. This only made us more confuse as to what the issue could be. I drove the bike back and I notice that I lost the head lights and the gear indicator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When you tried to start it.
Was the bike in neutral.
Was the kick stand down.


No lights, it's sounding like you have a issue with the wiring harness.
Intermittent and changing issues like these are very tough to track down long distance.
Put a battery tender on the bike, and start slowly eliminating problems.

Start with the headlights and neutral.
Indy is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 03-27-2017, 04:13 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
Strider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,496

I Ride: 2009 ZX-6R
Garage
It sounds to me like your stator or regulator/rectifier has gone bad. You can follow the test procedure in the service manual to figure out if one or both of them are working correctly or not.
PainfullySlo likes this.

Winner - 6OTM - March 2014
2009 ZX-6R (65,695 miles and counting) | www.ZX6R.us | www.Seaton007.com

M4 GP Slip-on | ASV C5 Levers | Spiegler SS Brake Lines | SpeedoHealer V4
Custom FE | K&N Air Filter | Vortex Sprockets -1/+2 | EK MVXZ Chain
Strider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 03-27-2017, 06:13 PM
Post Master General
 
Scorpi0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: LA, Cali
Posts: 9,588

I Ride: 06 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
It sounds to me like your stator or regulator/rectifier has gone bad. You can follow the test procedure in the service manual to figure out if one or both of them are working correctly or not.
Doubt it.

If that was the case then the bike wouldnt start afterwards either.
Scorpi0 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 03-27-2017, 08:26 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
Strider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,496

I Ride: 2009 ZX-6R
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpi0 View Post
Doubt it.

If that was the case then the bike wouldnt start afterwards either.
A brand new battery like that can recover enough in an hour or so to start the bike up again. Then when he started riding down the road, he lost the headlights and gauges, so the charging system couldn't keep up. The same thing happened when my stator went bad.
PainfullySlo likes this.

Winner - 6OTM - March 2014
2009 ZX-6R (65,695 miles and counting) | www.ZX6R.us | www.Seaton007.com

M4 GP Slip-on | ASV C5 Levers | Spiegler SS Brake Lines | SpeedoHealer V4
Custom FE | K&N Air Filter | Vortex Sprockets -1/+2 | EK MVXZ Chain

Last edited by Strider; 03-27-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Strider is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 03-27-2017, 11:09 PM
Team Green
 
RoidRageFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 134

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R
Garage
Sounds like something that I used to have to do. I however, believe mine was a battery issue. I would put it on a tender or double check to make sure that the battery you bought is good. I also had an issue before where there was a loose connection to the battery. Hopefully you can get it figured out.
Strider likes this.

Racefit: Not for everybody.....
RoidRageFool is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 03-28-2017, 08:25 AM
Squid
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 4
Hey I just brought a 2016 zx6r 2nd day a car taped it while parked And dropped it thank god for the frame sliders but now when I ride I noticed my high beam keeps going on and off what should I check
Midway2282 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 03-28-2017, 09:09 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
Strider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,496

I Ride: 2009 ZX-6R
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midway2282 View Post
Hey I just brought a 2016 zx6r 2nd day a car taped it while parked And dropped it thank god for the frame sliders but now when I ride I noticed my high beam keeps going on and off what should I check
This isn't really the proper place to ask a new question. I see, however, that you started another thread with your question. So we'll answer there.

Winner - 6OTM - March 2014
2009 ZX-6R (65,695 miles and counting) | www.ZX6R.us | www.Seaton007.com

M4 GP Slip-on | ASV C5 Levers | Spiegler SS Brake Lines | SpeedoHealer V4
Custom FE | K&N Air Filter | Vortex Sprockets -1/+2 | EK MVXZ Chain
Strider is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 03-29-2017, 01:11 AM
Squid
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 4
Sorry 1st day on here
Strider likes this.
Midway2282 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 03-29-2017, 09:24 AM
World Superbike Racer
 
commiehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,684

I Ride: ZX6R 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Let's go over what you said.


First time this year?
Reading between the lines, "turn back on" that means it would not fire up? OR the bike would not turn over? OR it was dead and the cluster wasn't on. Have to guess it was the first or second choice.


No lights, it's sounding like you have a issue with the wiring harness.
Intermittent and changing issues like these are very tough to track down long distance.
Put a battery tender on the bike, and start slowly eliminating problems.

Start with the headlights and neutral.
Didn't the 07/08 have a recall on the Reg/Rec system? If so, and if that hasn't been performed, that could be the culprit. Bike not charging the battery.

Never ride faster than you can stop
commiehunter is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 03-29-2017, 10:53 AM
Post Master General
 
RJ2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bowling Green, VA
Posts: 7,724

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by cperez57 View Post
Hey Guys,

I was hoping someone could help me trouble shoot my 2007 Ninja Zx6r.

I took out my bike for the first time on the road two days ago. The bike start Perfectly with no issues. I then came to a stop and accidentally stalled the bike. The issue started when the bike would not turn back on after the stall. My friend had to push to start the bike for it to turn on again.

We figured it was the battery. So,I bought a brand new battery and installed it. The bike started up great again and we notice the light were much brighter then before. I test drove the bike around the neighborhood and the bike ran great. The following day we went out for ride. The bike started up with no issues. We drove around for 25 minutes and stop to pick up some contacts ( again no issues bike ran great). Parked the bikes for about ten minutes and came back to start the bike and the results were disappointing. The bike would not start. We had to push start the bike again for it to turn back on. We decide to go eat and left the bike park for about and hour. We figure we would have to push start the bike again but the bike turn on with out a problem. This only made us more confuse as to what the issue could be. I drove the bike back and I notice that I lost the head lights and the gear indicator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1) Download shop manual from this site
2) Review troubleshooting matrix for bike not charging the battery
3) borrow/purchase a multimeter so you can make the readings outlined in the matrix.
4) replace what is indicated, instead of throwing money at it until you get lucky
Strider likes this.

"Basic stuff fellas. Use your head for something other than to break your next fall."

"There's this adage that we have 2 ears and one mouth so we should listen twice as much as we talk. Unfortunately with the Internet people have taken this old adage and turned it around. They have two eyes and 10 fingers so they think they need to post 5 times as much as they read. And since they have 10 fingers and one brain, they only have to think 10% of the time! "
RJ2112 is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > Lobby > New Users

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parts compatibility list ! Stiggy Mechanical and Technical 155 05-13-2017 07:09 AM
G1-2 hugger fit j1-2 salami Mechanical and Technical 2 06-21-2016 01:36 PM
New Zx6r 2014 and some minor issues Hkks123 New Users 10 08-05-2014 11:41 AM
New user with 03 zx6r issues ={ 5071josh New Users 0 07-01-2014 04:07 PM
2000 Kawasaki ZX6R Running issues nathanknsy Mechanical and Technical 14 08-30-2013 05:41 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome