Track tyres - Page 11 - ZX6R Forum
 82Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 223 Old 11-30-2016, 09:28 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,378

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixthecat View Post
Has anyone used the Michelin power cup evo in rain? I'm curious to know how it rode? How heavy was the rain?
Umm...that's a DOT race tire. Don't try it. DOT's are not good in the rain. Definitely not advisable. Keep in mind they're the same compounds as the slicks, with some shallow grooves in them. If it's damp, and the track is slowly drying, you can do it but just be very careful. You'll be a LOT slower. But if it's fully wet, and actually raining, my advice is don't push your luck.
PainfullySlo and Felixthecat like this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 223 Old 11-30-2016, 10:13 PM
Superbike Champion
 
Felixthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 1,078

I Ride: 2012 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Umm...that's a DOT race tire. Don't try it. DOT's are not good in the rain. Definitely not advisable. Keep in mind they're the same compounds as the slicks, with some shallow grooves in them. If it's damp, and the track is slowly drying, you can do it but just be very careful. You'll be a LOT slower. But if it's fully wet, and actually raining, my advice is don't push your luck.
Thank that's kinda what I expected since it is a race DOT tire. I was just curious because of the grooves in it. Not much but it had some so I thought I'd ask!

2012 Ninja ZX6R
Ohlins TTX MKII Rear Shock - Ohlins Steering Dampener - Yoshimura Carbon Fiber R77 Full System - Power Commander 5 tuned to 121rwhp - Schnitz ECU Flash - Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen - Vortex Clip Ons - Core Moto SS Brakelines - Armour Bodies Track Fairings - Motion Pro Quick Turn Throttle - Woodcraft Case Savers LHS, RHS, Timing Cover - Driven Block Off Plates - Driven Gas Cap - Driven Sprockets and Sprocket Nuts - Servo Buddy - Ballistic 8-Cell Li Battery - SpeedoDRD

2007 ZX6R( Deceased 3/1/16 @ Laguna Seca )
Felixthecat is offline  
post #153 of 223 Old 12-01-2016, 04:58 AM
Squid
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: montreal
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerocket09 View Post
Did a Pirelli-sponsored track day this past February,riding on a 1-2 month old(600 miles, street mileage) set of DSC SP V2(180/55 for the rear,first time using these DSC SP V2 at the track) set at 31/27 cold. Due to work commitments,I didn't track again until June,but installed a new SP V2 180/60 for the rear.
That last time in June,however,I was faster and more stable,having set the pressures to 30.5/26 cold and had the suspension re-tuned(from last year,running street on the DSC SP V2 180/55).91-94 F temps.trackside.
Laptimes were 2-3 seconds faster.
This coming from a novice class td rider(in February) and very sore and stiff,47 year,very,OLD man,lol.
Will be in intermediate next td. And hopefully,enter the Pirelli Rookie Cup starting April,2017,here in the Philippines.

Lots to learn and practice and at times,humbling and frustrating,but,nevertheless,it's a fierce blast
Btw last time i went to a track day the pirelli guy was there and you were right about the pressure 31/27 for the Sc But its for a HOT tire !

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
PainfullySlo likes this.
gab1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #154 of 223 Old 12-01-2016, 06:27 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Schooley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixthecat View Post
Thank that's kinda what I expected since it is a race DOT tire. I was just curious because of the grooves in it. Not much but it had some so I thought I'd ask!
Are you talking about racing in the rain, riding in the rain, or doing a track day in the rain?

Have you looked into the S21? It is a street tire but performs very well on the track even at fast intermediate/slow advanced laptimes. You wont need tire warmers and could get many track days out of them while still putting street miles on them. A street tire will probably get better wet traction than a DOT too.
Schooley is offline  
post #155 of 223 Old 12-01-2016, 08:17 AM
Superbike Champion
 
Felixthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 1,078

I Ride: 2012 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooley View Post
Are you talking about racing in the rain, riding in the rain, or doing a track day in the rain?

Have you looked into the S21? It is a street tire but performs very well on the track even at fast intermediate/slow advanced laptimes. You wont need tire warmers and could get many track days out of them while still putting street miles on them. A street tire will probably get better wet traction than a DOT too.

Just a trackday and yea I have looked into it I've been wanting to buy it but the next tire I try is a Dunlop lol. Maybe after that I go back to Bridgestone haha

2012 Ninja ZX6R
Ohlins TTX MKII Rear Shock - Ohlins Steering Dampener - Yoshimura Carbon Fiber R77 Full System - Power Commander 5 tuned to 121rwhp - Schnitz ECU Flash - Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen - Vortex Clip Ons - Core Moto SS Brakelines - Armour Bodies Track Fairings - Motion Pro Quick Turn Throttle - Woodcraft Case Savers LHS, RHS, Timing Cover - Driven Block Off Plates - Driven Gas Cap - Driven Sprockets and Sprocket Nuts - Servo Buddy - Ballistic 8-Cell Li Battery - SpeedoDRD

2007 ZX6R( Deceased 3/1/16 @ Laguna Seca )
Felixthecat is offline  
post #156 of 223 Old 12-01-2016, 09:13 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Schooley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixthecat View Post
Just a trackday and yea I have looked into it I've been wanting to buy it but the next tire I try is a Dunlop lol. Maybe after that I go back to Bridgestone haha
If you are considering the Q3s I would pick whichever is cheapest between them and the S21s. Very comparable although the S21 may last a little longer (not sure, never used the Q3s 1st hand).

Confidence in the tire is the most important factor, there's not many people who can outride tires in this class. I have video of me going out on track @Barber with a group hot off warmers (I was on cold S21s) and I am with them the whole time and outpacing some of them
Felixthecat likes this.

Last edited by Schooley; 12-01-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Schooley is offline  
post #157 of 223 Old 12-01-2016, 09:29 AM
Superbike Champion
 
Felixthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 1,078

I Ride: 2012 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooley View Post
If you are considering the Q3s I would pick whichever is cheapest between them and the S21s. Very comparable although the S21 may last a little longer (not sure, never used them 1st hand).

Confidence in the tire is the most important factor, there's not many people who can outride tires in this class. I have video of me going out on track @Barber with a group hot off warmers (I was on cold S21s) and I am with them the whole time and outpacing some of them
I was actually considering the d211 GPA tire because they are surprisingly cheap and not much more expensive then the RS10 I wanted to try. Bike is currently only track but I would be making it semi street legal(led bar headlight and led bar brake light on track trim lol) and the Dunlop tire provider I called told me the d211 are dot so I could take them onto the street and have some fun there.
Schooley likes this.

2012 Ninja ZX6R
Ohlins TTX MKII Rear Shock - Ohlins Steering Dampener - Yoshimura Carbon Fiber R77 Full System - Power Commander 5 tuned to 121rwhp - Schnitz ECU Flash - Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen - Vortex Clip Ons - Core Moto SS Brakelines - Armour Bodies Track Fairings - Motion Pro Quick Turn Throttle - Woodcraft Case Savers LHS, RHS, Timing Cover - Driven Block Off Plates - Driven Gas Cap - Driven Sprockets and Sprocket Nuts - Servo Buddy - Ballistic 8-Cell Li Battery - SpeedoDRD

2007 ZX6R( Deceased 3/1/16 @ Laguna Seca )
Felixthecat is offline  
post #158 of 223 Old 12-01-2016, 10:50 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,378

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixthecat View Post
I was actually considering the d211 GPA tire because they are surprisingly cheap and not much more expensive then the RS10 I wanted to try. Bike is currently only track but I would be making it semi street legal(led bar headlight and led bar brake light on track trim lol) and the Dunlop tire provider I called told me the d211 are dot so I could take them onto the street and have some fun there.
I ran the 211 GPA's on an older CBR600 a few years ago. At that time I was intermediate level and I got like 8 track days and 1500 street miles out of the rear and the front still had some life in it. I didn't like the feel of them personally, but they lasted a long time.

And I agree with Schooley that pretty much all street tires will do better in the rain than DOT race tires.

Now, you're in Cali, so I'm not sure why you're worried about rain, but the right way to do it is to get rain tires for those day (talking track days here)! ...rain tires are freakin awesome! I was blown away by the grip you get with them in full wet conditions! On my cbr500, I was running about 10-11 seconds slower only while raining and puddles on the track, and once it stopped raining and the track was just wet but no puddles, I was going only about 8 seconds slower than in dry conditions on slicks!

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
post #159 of 223 Old 12-01-2016, 11:00 AM
Superbike Champion
 
Felixthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 1,078

I Ride: 2012 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
I ran the 211 GPA's on an older CBR600 a few years ago. At that time I was intermediate level and I got like 8 track days and 1500 street miles out of the rear and the front still had some life in it. I didn't like the feel of them personally, but they lasted a long time.

And I agree with Schooley that pretty much all street tires will do better in the rain than DOT race tires.

Now, you're in Cali, so I'm not sure why you're worried about rain, but the right way to do it is to get rain tires for those day (talking track days here)! ...rain tires are freakin awesome! I was blown away by the grip you get with them in full wet conditions! On my cbr500, I was running about 10-11 seconds slower only while raining and puddles on the track, and once it stopped raining and the track was just wet but no puddles, I was going only about 8 seconds slower than in dry conditions on slicks!
im curious was this before they did the restructure of the profile for the d211? I know a lot of people at first did not like the D211 then once they did some changes to the tire i heard a lot of people changed their mind on them. and hey just because its California doesnt mean we dont get rain lol. i think this year we have had more rain than other years!! it was kind of nice haha. And holy shit 8 track days

2012 Ninja ZX6R
Ohlins TTX MKII Rear Shock - Ohlins Steering Dampener - Yoshimura Carbon Fiber R77 Full System - Power Commander 5 tuned to 121rwhp - Schnitz ECU Flash - Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen - Vortex Clip Ons - Core Moto SS Brakelines - Armour Bodies Track Fairings - Motion Pro Quick Turn Throttle - Woodcraft Case Savers LHS, RHS, Timing Cover - Driven Block Off Plates - Driven Gas Cap - Driven Sprockets and Sprocket Nuts - Servo Buddy - Ballistic 8-Cell Li Battery - SpeedoDRD

2007 ZX6R( Deceased 3/1/16 @ Laguna Seca )
Felixthecat is offline  
post #160 of 223 Old 12-08-2016, 01:16 AM
Track Star
 
ricerocket09's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bayambang,Pangasinan,Philippines
Posts: 340

I Ride: 2009 ZX6R Monster Energy and 2013 636 all stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by gab1 View Post
Btw last time i went to a track day the pirelli guy was there and you were right about the pressure 31/27 for the Sc But its for a HOT tire !

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
The official Pirelli supplier reps from Australia,here in the PI,recommended 31F/26-27R
Cold Psi for the DSC SP V2.

For the twisties,I keep them at 32F/36R
Cold because the ambient temps don't fluctuate too greatly.It's always hot,lol.
After riding for awhile,I usually stop and measure the pressures. Most of the time,they bump up to 33F/37-38R hot Psi.

Trackside,the temps are 90-97F in December.
I will measure the hot pressures after pitting this upcoming track days,Dec.13&14.

'09 6R/PCV/QsSensor/PushrodA/GravesSlipon/NGKcr9eix/PirelliDSCSPV2/Harrisgrips&tankpad/
SpieglerRennsport/
PuigDB,framesliders&barends/Hotbodiesundertail&hugger/K&Nair&oil/RKchain/RenthalSprockets/EBC EPFA/ShoraiLFX/Ohlinsforksprings/STOMPgrips/Yoshimuramirrorholecaps/R&Gracingtanksliders/EuroRacingquickactionthrottle/Woodcraftcover/
Motul300V/PiaaH9&H11.


2013 ZX6R 636 all stock
ricerocket09 is offline  
post #161 of 223 Old 12-08-2016, 05:20 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,378

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixthecat View Post
im curious was this before they did the restructure of the profile for the d211? I know a lot of people at first did not like the D211 then once they did some changes to the tire i heard a lot of people changed their mind on them. and hey just because its California doesnt mean we dont get rain lol. i think this year we have had more rain than other years!! it was kind of nice haha. And holy shit 8 track days
Oh I missed this. Just saw your post now. Not sure if it was before or after because I'm not sure when they made that change, but the tires would've been manufactured around 2011/2012. Don't remember exactly.

And yep, 8 track days and 1500 street miles. At the time I was slower than I am now, by a decent amount (like 10-12 seconds at my home track, mid-intermediate level), and I was on a cbr600. They last quite a bit. Later on I ran the same type of tires on my 1198 at a faster pace and I still got about 5-6 track days out of the rear.
Felixthecat likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
post #162 of 223 Old 12-08-2016, 06:37 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
spiderman636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,925

I Ride: 2005 zx6r
Someone above said confidence in the tire is the biggest thing.... Correct! IMHO.

It's why I can't get out of the Q3. I swore I was switching to slicks this year but that damn Q3 is so Stable and confidence inspiring that I can't stop using them. I tried the pirelli sc1 or whatever last year and honestly I think I may have gone a lil faster on it but I Def didn't have the confidence or the feel and so I didn't like it. Confidence is huge.
ricerocket09 likes this.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

spiderman636 is offline  
post #163 of 223 Old 01-05-2017, 05:20 PM
Superbike Champion
 
Felixthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 1,078

I Ride: 2012 ZX6R
Found out today that the Dunlop KR451( this is a 200/55) is the same width as a Dunlop D211( in a 190/60). Been contemplating trying Dunlop out and well now I might just buy @Gawernator extra KR451 slick set he's been trying to sell me for months.
Gawernator likes this.

2012 Ninja ZX6R
Ohlins TTX MKII Rear Shock - Ohlins Steering Dampener - Yoshimura Carbon Fiber R77 Full System - Power Commander 5 tuned to 121rwhp - Schnitz ECU Flash - Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen - Vortex Clip Ons - Core Moto SS Brakelines - Armour Bodies Track Fairings - Motion Pro Quick Turn Throttle - Woodcraft Case Savers LHS, RHS, Timing Cover - Driven Block Off Plates - Driven Gas Cap - Driven Sprockets and Sprocket Nuts - Servo Buddy - Ballistic 8-Cell Li Battery - SpeedoDRD

2007 ZX6R( Deceased 3/1/16 @ Laguna Seca )
Felixthecat is offline  
post #164 of 223 Old 01-05-2017, 05:40 PM
World Superbike Champion
 
Gawernator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hayward, CA
Posts: 2,073

I Ride: 2015 ZX-6R 636; 2009 250R; 1999 KX125
Garage
Yay

Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors:
JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Incipio/Incase | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Outlaw Racing/Pit Posse Motorsports | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft
http://www.gawerracing.com
Gawernator is online now  
post #165 of 223 Old 01-10-2017, 10:03 PM
Superbike Champion
 
Felixthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Salinas, CA
Posts: 1,078

I Ride: 2012 ZX6R
When measuring the width of a tire were do you start and stop? Just the top, edge to edge? Do you include sidewall from rim?

I wasn't trying to do this with the current tires I have Michelin Power Cup Evo. They are in 190/55 but I can't get anywhere near 190. Can someone help with pictures or something. I am curious because i wanna know if my current warmers will fit the 190/60 or the 200/55 dunlops since they have the same 191.3 mm

2012 Ninja ZX6R
Ohlins TTX MKII Rear Shock - Ohlins Steering Dampener - Yoshimura Carbon Fiber R77 Full System - Power Commander 5 tuned to 121rwhp - Schnitz ECU Flash - Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen - Vortex Clip Ons - Core Moto SS Brakelines - Armour Bodies Track Fairings - Motion Pro Quick Turn Throttle - Woodcraft Case Savers LHS, RHS, Timing Cover - Driven Block Off Plates - Driven Gas Cap - Driven Sprockets and Sprocket Nuts - Servo Buddy - Ballistic 8-Cell Li Battery - SpeedoDRD

2007 ZX6R( Deceased 3/1/16 @ Laguna Seca )
Felixthecat is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > Racing

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
St Louis (MO, IL, IN, KS area) people interested in getting on the track.. trackdayhero Racing 8 09-25-2012 10:46 AM
Wet track tyres stevenet15 Racing 8 09-23-2012 02:22 PM
Track Day Tires kronberg Racing 23 07-19-2012 04:34 PM
bike night and track day (pic heavy) jonnie Motorcycle Talk 7 05-06-2012 01:47 PM
For track riding AND long days 09 cbr or 09 zx6? bikerjarrel The ZX6R 17 10-23-2011 12:02 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome