Track suspension/geometry set up - Page 5 - ZX6R Forum
 47Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 152 Old 04-29-2016, 05:37 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 3,730

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
I've been told stock height (aka shock length as measured eyelet to eyelet) is 339 mm. Does this sound about right to everyone? Reason I ask is because everyone is saying by how much they've raised the rear relative to stock, but my bike came with an adjustable TTX shock, and I need to be able to relate to actual dimensions rather than what stock was.

I canceled my MSF class for this weekend due to weather so I should have some time to mess with the bike and sort out some of these things. The front is set at 5 mm above the triple clamp at the moment.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle
sbk1198 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 152 Old 04-29-2016, 05:54 PM
Track Star
 
Petrolsexual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 464

I Ride: 2009 ZX6R
After seeing all the talk about raising the front on this forum, and having the bike try to tank slap on me a few times, I decided to raise the front forks from the stock position up 5mm so the top of the tube was flush with the upper this last race weekend. Had the best race results I've ever had, hmm...
PainfullySlo likes this.
Petrolsexual is offline  
post #63 of 152 Old 04-29-2016, 06:03 PM
Track Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 359

I Ride: '12 zx6r track bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
I've been told stock height (aka shock length as measured eyelet to eyelet) is 339 mm. Does this sound about right to everyone? Reason I ask is because everyone is saying by how much they've raised the rear relative to stock, but my bike came with an adjustable TTX shock, and I need to be able to relate to actual dimensions rather than what stock was.

I canceled my MSF class for this weekend due to weather so I should have some time to mess with the bike and sort out some of these things. The front is set at 5 mm above the triple clamp at the moment.
I told you where I got the 339 mm number from. I've never measured my stock shock, but I'll probably pull it for a refresh at the end of May and I'll let you know.
PainfullySlo and sbk1198 like this.
Duc995 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 152 Old 04-29-2016, 06:10 PM
Track Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 359

I Ride: '12 zx6r track bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
...The front is set at 5 mm above the triple clamp at the moment.
That's stock position, per the service manual.
Duc995 is offline  
post #65 of 152 Old 04-29-2016, 06:34 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 3,730

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc995 View Post
I told you where I got the 339 mm number from. I've never measured my stock shock, but I'll probably pull it for a refresh at the end of May and I'll let you know.
Oh yeah, forgot about that. I should've looked in my inbox again . Well I definitely believe Farrell.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle
sbk1198 is offline  
post #66 of 152 Old 04-30-2016, 04:53 AM
Superbike Champion
 
XPyrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolsexual View Post
After seeing all the talk about raising the front on this forum, and having the bike try to tank slap on me a few times, I decided to raise the front forks from the stock position up 5mm so the top of the tube was flush with the upper this last race weekend. Had the best race results I've ever had, hmm...
That's my plan also, hoping to have the same results.
PainfullySlo likes this.
XPyrion is offline  
post #67 of 152 Old 04-30-2016, 04:37 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 3,730

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Ok, got my baseline measurements:

Front height (top of fork tube above triple clamp): 5 mm
Rear ride height (center of top clevis to center of bottom clevis): 338-339 mm...this one was hard to measure accurately
Current tires: Pirelli Supercorsas SC, 180/60 rear
Weight: ~370 lbs with all fluids but only about 1-2 gallons of fuel
Sprockets: 15/45 (I believe stock is 16/43??)

Now my question...is that washer/spacer in the picture supposed to be there as stock? Or does that look like a spacer that someone might've put in there to raise the height? It appears to be about 3-4 mm thick. As I said before, I have an Ohlins TTX shock on with height adjustability which makes it a lot easier to adjust height without taking things off, but just wondering if that might've been something that someone had put in there before swapping out shocks?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160430_170454189.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	790.3 KB
ID:	39467  
PainfullySlo likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle
sbk1198 is offline  
post #68 of 152 Old 04-30-2016, 05:18 PM
Track Star
 
Petrolsexual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 464

I Ride: 2009 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Ok, got my baseline measurements:

Front height (top of fork tube above triple clamp): 5 mm
Rear ride height (center of top clevis to center of bottom clevis): 338-339 mm...this one was hard to measure accurately
Current tires: Pirelli Supercorsas SC, 180/60 rear
Weight: ~370 lbs with all fluids but only about 1-2 gallons of fuel
Sprockets: 15/45 (I believe stock is 16/43??)
I think your bike might be missing something, like an engine or wheels and tires...

Edit: and before anyone says "but it doesn't have a full tank!" SG of gasoline (first result on google that popped up) .739 x 8.345 lb/gal x (4.5 gal - 2 gal) = 15.4 lbs additional weight with a full tank. Which would still only be 385.4 lbs...

Last edited by Petrolsexual; 04-30-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Petrolsexual is offline  
post #69 of 152 Old 04-30-2016, 05:45 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 3,730

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolsexual View Post
I think your bike might be missing something, like an engine or wheels and tires...

Edit: and before anyone says "but it doesn't have a full tank!" SG of gasoline (first result on google that popped up) .739 x 8.345 lb/gal x (4.5 gal - 2 gal) = 15.4 lbs additional weight with a full tank. Which would still only be 385.4 lbs...
Were you expecting more?? It's only a 600. My 1198 weighed a few lbs less yet!

I weighed the ZX6R in at 365 lbs but that was without the fairings. I can't imagine the fairings weighing a whole lot. I put the "~" in front as an estimate, but the tail weighs probably under 1 lbs, the belly pan is probably around 2 lbs, and the front I can't imagine it being more than about 3-4. So maybe 375 tops.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle
sbk1198 is offline  
post #70 of 152 Old 04-30-2016, 05:48 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 3,730

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
As a comparison, I weighed my CBR500R at the same time, under the same conditions, except for that one I know for sure it only had right around 1 gallon of gas in, and it came in at 375 lbs (also with no fairings). But that thing has a lot of cast aluminum and steel parts. It even feels heavy for what it is so I wasn't too surprised.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle
sbk1198 is offline  
post #71 of 152 Old 04-30-2016, 05:54 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 3,730

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
WSS minimum weight requirement is 354 lbs, and they weigh them after the race, which is likely all fluids but barely any fuel, since race teams measure out the fuel carefully to not add more than required, and have just enough to finish the race and cooldown lap plus a bit more I'm sure as a safety margin. So I'm still over 20 lbs off that. It's definitely possible, and their requirements are fairly strict, so it's not like they're allowed to replace frame/swing arm/wheel components with CF or Titanium. I'm guessing their engines are lighter so that's the main place where they can save those last few lbs at, because they can mod the shit out of their engines.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle

Last edited by sbk1198; 04-30-2016 at 05:56 PM.
sbk1198 is offline  
post #72 of 152 Old 04-30-2016, 06:29 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
smokey11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mississauga,Ontario and Wolverhampton UK
Posts: 4,158

I Ride: 09 ZX6R (track only) 04 CR85R
370lb isn't crazy I estimate I'm in the same ball park as well, I should be about 365lb this season.
PainfullySlo likes this.

__________
YouTubechannelhttp://youtube.com/realsmokey11
Mods
DUA Motorsports Bodywork, Akrapovic Moto2 exhaust w/ Akrapovic SS full system, Attack Rearsets, Bazzaz ZFI TC, Kawasaki Kit ECU, MWR race filter, Fren Tubo type 4 carbon fiber brake lines, Braketech Iron Axis rotors, , carbon Fiber clip on tubes, Renthal clip ons, ram air mod, Attack velocity stacks, Motion Pro quick turn throttle, Brembo 19x18 MC, custom carbon fiber subframe, Ohlins TTX36, Ohlins 30mm cartridge kit

http://zx6r.com/pictures/26715-my-09-track-bike.html
smokey11 is offline  
post #73 of 152 Old 04-30-2016, 07:29 PM
Track Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 359

I Ride: '12 zx6r track bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Now my question...is that washer/spacer in the picture supposed to be there as stock? Or does that look like a spacer that someone might've put in there to raise the height? It appears to be about 3-4 mm thick. As I said before, I have an Ohlins TTX shock on with height adjustability which makes it a lot easier to adjust height without taking things off, but just wondering if that might've been something that someone had put in there before swapping out shocks?

That's the stock spacer and is approx. 4 mm thick. I left that spacer in place and added a 6 mm shim (but remember my Racetech Goldvalved kit lengthened my forks 15 mm).

You'll have to see if that 180/60 rear tire makes you want to drop the forks that last 5 mm or not.

And, yes, stock gearing is 16x43

Last edited by Duc995; 04-30-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Duc995 is offline  
post #74 of 152 Old 04-30-2016, 08:11 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 3,730

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc995 View Post
That's the stock spacer and is approx. 4 mm thick. I left that spacer in place and added a 6 mm shim (but remember my Racetech Goldvalved kit lengthened my forks 15 mm).

You'll have to see if that 180/60 rear tire makes you want to drop the forks that last 5 mm or not.

And, yes, stock gearing is 16x43
Thanks a bunch! Well then my rear height should be right around stock at the moment, but my front should be raised above stock. I have Ohlins cartridges in the forks and I was told those increase the fork length by 10 mm.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle
sbk1198 is offline  
post #75 of 152 Old 04-30-2016, 08:23 PM
Track Star
 
Petrolsexual's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 464

I Ride: 2009 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Were you expecting more?? It's only a 600. My 1198 weighed a few lbs less yet!

I weighed the ZX6R in at 365 lbs but that was without the fairings. I can't imagine the fairings weighing a whole lot. I put the "~" in front as an estimate, but the tail weighs probably under 1 lbs, the belly pan is probably around 2 lbs, and the front I can't imagine it being more than about 3-4. So maybe 375 tops.
Well I'll be damned, I was expecting at least 400lbs but my bike right now is 372lbs so I guess I was just way off base.
Petrolsexual is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > Racing


Search tags for this page

07 zx6r neck geometry

,

09 zx6 track setup

,

2004 ninja zx6rr suspension clicker settings

,

fork setting zx6rr 2004

,

race geometry 2009 zx6r

,

racing geometri zx6r

,

set up kawasaki zx6rr 2004

,

setting up 07 zx6r for track

,

tips on setting up a kawasaki zx6r for the track

,

zx6r raise forks

,

zx6r track setup

,

zx6rr 2004 track setting

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track tyres stevenet15 Racing 209 03-23-2017 04:57 AM
MARRC Track Days & Race School- 2014 TheEvilTwin Racing 6 01-12-2014 06:42 PM
Thinking of doing the whole streetable track fairings on the 10R.... Lobster Motorcycle Talk 30 12-15-2013 12:18 AM
New tyres on the track Dashy Racing 14 02-24-2013 08:28 PM
For track riding AND long days 09 cbr or 09 zx6? bikerjarrel The ZX6R 17 10-23-2011 12:02 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome