2017 MotoGP Season (Spoilers Inside) - Page 61 - ZX6R Forum
 519Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #901 of 948 Old 05-18-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
MotoGP Champion
 
jd41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Monterey, California
Posts: 2,749

I Ride: 2014 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Garage
I'm excited to see Dany Kent's replacement in action with the Suter. The replacement rider is the Scottish Tarran Mackenzie who is dominating The BSB SSP series and won the championship last year.

MotoGP News - MotoGP France: Mackenzie: It?s where I?ve always wanted to race

Crash.net:
Will FP1 tomorrow be your first time on a Moto2 bike?

Tarran Mackenzie:
I've never ridden one. It's all completely new to me. Sam Lowes has given me a little bit of help. He's sort of been in this position a few years ago. He has been explaining a few things to me about the feeling that I have on the bike. Ultimately I'll know by tomorrow what the feeling is like. Then we have a test on Monday which is nice. I can spend a bit more time trying different things. With it being mixed weather this weekend we might not be able to get through a lot. It'll just be a case of learning how to ride it, I guess.

Martillo y Mantequilla #99
jd41 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #902 of 948 Old 05-19-2017, 09:58 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Sandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,217

I Ride: 16 WRX, 11 Fusion
Someone please tell me -- why is there a bump in the last corner section [on the kerbs] at the Le Mans track?

They *JUST* resurfaced the entire track, and the little drop is still there. It has to be intentionally placed.

Does that only strike me as a safety concern, even if it's mild?
Sandman is offline  
post #903 of 948 Old 05-19-2017, 11:01 AM
Superbike Champion
 
capitalcrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Albany NY
Posts: 971

I Ride: 2016 gsxr 750, 2007 zx6r
I haven't seen it, but I'm just gonna say... it's a race track. Literally the entire thing is a safety concern lol.
laggy311 and Ilya like this.
capitalcrew is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #904 of 948 Old 05-20-2017, 06:00 AM
Squid
 
mikier6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: El maresme tropical, Barcelona
Posts: 18

I Ride: ER-6f (ninja 650) & ZX-6R KRT edition
mikier6 is offline  
post #905 of 948 Old 05-20-2017, 06:04 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Sandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,217

I Ride: 16 WRX, 11 Fusion
Yeah ...... Miller was exceptionally lucky the bike didn't tumble on top of him. That is about the worst crash I can remember watching.
Sandman is offline  
post #906 of 948 Old 05-20-2017, 07:16 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Sandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,217

I Ride: 16 WRX, 11 Fusion
Go Yamaha
Sandman is offline  
post #907 of 948 Old 05-20-2017, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
MotoGP Champion
 
jd41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Monterey, California
Posts: 2,749

I Ride: 2014 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Garage
MotoGP News - MotoGP France: Lorenzo rails against ?very rude? Miller

"Miller apparently told Lorenzo, 'Opinions are like arseholes. Everyone has one,' after the Majorcan had voiced his displeasure at the riders' decision not to offer the current tyre alongside the stiffer version.

...

Speaking of the decision to change the front tyre construction from Mugello onwards, he continued, “Personally I think they were a bit hasty with the decision. They should have waited a little longer.

“The thing is this tyre was only tested at Jerez, and suddenly the riders said it was better after just one day of testing on only one kind of asphalt. For me, the feeling of the tyres changes a lot from track to track and asphalt to asphalt. We didn't have quite enough time to evaluate it.

“It's a tyre they discarded after preseason and now they've brought it back because some riders don't like the current one. It's true that the majority decided to change, but the decision was made too soon, they should have waited a little longer, for other tracks and other surfaces.

“But you have to accept that the majority has accepted this new tyre. For sure it was influenced by rider with a lot of power. The riders have more grip in the turn and we need a little more lateral grip. But we'll have to work a little harder and accept the decision of the safety commission.”



http://www.autosport.com/news/report...rning-from-god

"Of the 23 MotoGP riders, 20 voted in favour of the switch, with Ducati's Lorenzo and his Yamaha replacement Maverick Vinales among the minority."

Martillo y Mantequilla #99

Last edited by jd41; 05-20-2017 at 12:06 PM.
jd41 is offline  
post #908 of 948 Old 05-20-2017, 12:23 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
Sandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,217

I Ride: 16 WRX, 11 Fusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd41 View Post
MotoGP News - MotoGP France: Lorenzo rails against ?very rude? Miller

"Miller apparently told Lorenzo, 'Opinions are like arseholes. Everyone has one,' after the Majorcan had voiced his displeasure at the riders' decision not to offer the current tyre alongside the stiffer version.

...

Speaking of the decision to change the front tyre construction from Mugello onwards, he continued, “Personally I think they were a bit hasty with the decision. They should have waited a little longer.

“The thing is this tyre was only tested at Jerez, and suddenly the riders said it was better after just one day of testing on only one kind of asphalt. For me, the feeling of the tyres changes a lot from track to track and asphalt to asphalt. We didn't have quite enough time to evaluate it.

“It's a tyre they discarded after preseason and now they've brought it back because some riders don't like the current one. It's true that the majority decided to change, but the decision was made too soon, they should have waited a little longer, for other tracks and other surfaces.

“But you have to accept that the majority has accepted this new tyre. For sure it was influenced by rider with a lot of power. The riders have more grip in the turn and we need a little more lateral grip. But we'll have to work a little harder and accept the decision of the safety commission.”



Lorenzo: Miller's Le Mans MotoGP practice crash a warning from God - MotoGP - Autosport

"Of the 23 MotoGP riders, 20 voted in favour of the switch, with Ducati's Lorenzo and his Yamaha replacement Maverick Vinales among the minority."


I actually think Lorenzo has a point WHILE still somehow remaining a whiny bitch about it via his presentation.

The "sporting" part of me agrees that the riders should have a bit more sayso in the construction of the tires, and if the tires can be offered in both the hard carcass AND softer edge grip qualities, why not? If the riders are on unique manufacturer developed bikes, why not give them the option for a tire that suits their unique bike strengths and setup?

The "bureaucratic" part of me says that the majority has voted, and that's what needs to happen. I believe that the softer edge grip tire was preferred by more riders earlier in the season, and that's what Michelin developed. Only seems fitting that the continue the trend of giving the majority what it wants

Curiously enough, it's been Rossi that has been pushing most for the harder carcass tire. Looks like other riders finally understood what his complaints with the tire have been founded on.
Sandman is offline  
post #909 of 948 Old 05-20-2017, 03:46 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
zninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,455

I Ride: 2012 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I actually think Lorenzo has a point WHILE still somehow remaining a whiny bitch about it via his presentation.

The "sporting" part of me agrees that the riders should have a bit more sayso in the construction of the tires, and if the tires can be offered in both the hard carcass AND softer edge grip qualities, why not? If the riders are on unique manufacturer developed bikes, why not give them the option for a tire that suits their unique bike strengths and setup?

The "bureaucratic" part of me says that the majority has voted, and that's what needs to happen. I believe that the softer edge grip tire was preferred by more riders earlier in the season, and that's what Michelin developed. Only seems fitting that the continue the trend of giving the majority what it wants

Curiously enough, it's been Rossi that has been pushing most for the harder carcass tire. Looks like other riders finally understood what his complaints with the tire have been founded on.
I would love to see more tire options so the riders are at their most comfortable. I only care about the racing. That said I'm sure it comes down to cost. Developing and manufacturing 2 tires is twice as expensive.
zninja is online now  
post #910 of 948 Old 05-20-2017, 05:08 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
Sandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,217

I Ride: 16 WRX, 11 Fusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by zninja View Post
I would love to see more tire options so the riders are at their most comfortable. I only care about the racing. That said I'm sure it comes down to cost. Developing and manufacturing 2 tires is twice as expensive.

The tire architecture has already been developed, they just have to spit them out
jd41 likes this.
Sandman is offline  
post #911 of 948 Old 05-20-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
MotoGP Champion
 
jd41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Monterey, California
Posts: 2,749

I Ride: 2014 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Garage
I agree with Lorenzo. He's not insisting on Michelin ONLY supplying the "sofer" option but rather producing BOTH the 16 (stiff) and 17 (soft) versions. It was a premature decision to make considering there have only been a few races this year.

What is there to loose? Nothing. It is in Michelin's best interest for development too.


--------------


Also, here's Jackass Miller's crash


Martillo y Mantequilla #99

Last edited by jd41; 05-20-2017 at 06:21 PM.
jd41 is offline  
post #912 of 948 Old 05-20-2017, 07:40 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
zninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,455

I Ride: 2012 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
The tire architecture has already been developed, they just have to spit them out
:shrug: got me, I just have to assume there's cost associated with maintaining production capacity for both. Who knows though, it might be huge it might be negligible. Just throwing stuff at the wall.
zninja is online now  
post #913 of 948 Old 05-20-2017, 10:26 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
Sandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,217

I Ride: 16 WRX, 11 Fusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by zninja View Post
:shrug: got me, I just have to assume there's cost associated with maintaining production capacity for both. Who knows though, it might be huge it might be negligible. Just throwing stuff at the wall.
Honest question -- is it any different than maintaining their current lineup offerings of hard / medium / soft ....vs... hard carcass / soft edge / <medium or soft> .... etc?

I really see this as a win / win should Michelin be able to offer two tires that are architecturally different and appeal to effectively all riders and still remain within the legality of "three rules per calendar location" per Dorna
jd41 and mikier6 like this.
Sandman is offline  
post #914 of 948 Old 05-20-2017, 10:35 PM
Post Master General
 
laggy311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 5,812

I Ride: Dirty
Garage
That was a horrible wreck. Glad he walked away.

As far as surface imperfections, I do believe certain tracks retain them by default because undulations from the ravages of time, often go further than just the track and would require re-leveling of major plots of land. So they try to "de-tune" those imperfections, but essentially, you just spread them out.

Just guessing.

Here it is standing: atoms with consciousness; matter with curiosity. Stands at the sea, wonders at wondering: I, a universe of atoms an atom in the universe. - Richard Feynman
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
@hellonearth good luck queer. I'll keep my dick crossed for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpi0 View Post
U guys should see me shredding my flute. No homo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
Free ball it. Then sell your used gear on ebay
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
And look at those chicken strips too! What a squid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverszzr View Post
I hope your fork seals start leaking..........
laggy311 is offline  
post #915 of 948 Old 05-20-2017, 11:13 PM
World Superbike Racer
 
commiehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,685

I Ride: ZX6R 636
Cool to see the positions. Vinales on pole, Zarco in the front row with the factory Yamahas, and MM93 down in 5th. Should be great tomorrow!
commiehunter is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > Racing

Tags
moto2 , moto3 , motogp

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MotoGP Season Pass ObiWanJacoby Racing 15 03-24-2017 10:00 AM
MotoGp hits texas in 2013 dlj3499af Racing 15 07-21-2012 06:50 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome