Jumping Ship - Page 4 - ZX6R Forum
 52Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 62 Old 12-12-2016, 01:49 PM
World Superbike Champion
 
Gawernator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hayward, CA
Posts: 1,906

I Ride: 2015 ZX-6R 636; 2009 250R; 1999 KX125
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PainfullySlo View Post
QFT!

I have yet to find a single production motorcycle where I did not have to throw away the OEM shock the moment that I bought the bike. Not one. The new BPF forks (on any brand bike) from Showa are pretty damn amazing. The gap between OEM and quality aftermarket cartridges is definitely a lot smaller than it used to be.
Slightly off topic but there seems to be a consensus that the Showa OEM forks on our bikes 13+ are actually really good. So I could get away racing the bike with just a different spring and shock in the rear?
sbk1198 likes this.

Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors:
Spears Racing | JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | Galfer | Incipio/Incase | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Outlaw Racing/Pit Posse Motorsports | Shorai Inc. | SPY+ | Vortex | Woodcraft
Gawernator is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 62 Old 12-12-2016, 03:39 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 3,765

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
Slightly off topic but there seems to be a consensus that the Showa OEM forks on our bikes 13+ are actually really good. So I could get away racing the bike with just a different spring and shock in the rear?
Correct. Xpyrion on here has/had a 2014 that was almost stock, just a slip-on and a few other bolt on parts, stock suspensions and he was just as fast on STREET tires as I was on my '09 with Ohlins suspensions, a bunch of other aftermarket goodies and race tires. And that was just at one of our home tracks. At the other one he was 5 seconds faster! He was basically doing low-expert or fast amateur racer level lap times....on street tires.

Unless you're going for expert level podiums and race wins, they'll do fine.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle
sbk1198 is offline  
post #48 of 62 Old 12-12-2016, 09:01 PM
World Superbike Champion
 
Gawernator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hayward, CA
Posts: 1,906

I Ride: 2015 ZX-6R 636; 2009 250R; 1999 KX125
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Correct. Xpyrion on here has/had a 2014 that was almost stock, just a slip-on and a few other bolt on parts, stock suspensions and he was just as fast on STREET tires as I was on my '09 with Ohlins suspensions, a bunch of other aftermarket goodies and race tires. And that was just at one of our home tracks. At the other one he was 5 seconds faster! He was basically doing low-expert or fast amateur racer level lap times....on street tires.

Unless you're going for expert level podiums and race wins, they'll do fine.
Well I'm thinking about just making the ZX6R a race bike by the 2019 season. I'm changing out the spring tomorrow for something race appropriate my suspension guy recommended. Other than the rear shock I don't think it would need too much work done to be competitive. Build up the engine

Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors:
Spears Racing | JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | Galfer | Incipio/Incase | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Outlaw Racing/Pit Posse Motorsports | Shorai Inc. | SPY+ | Vortex | Woodcraft
Gawernator is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #49 of 62 Old 12-13-2016, 05:20 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 3,765

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
Well I'm thinking about just making the ZX6R a race bike by the 2019 season. I'm changing out the spring tomorrow for something race appropriate my suspension guy recommended. Other than the rear shock I don't think it would need too much work done to be competitive. Build up the engine
2019?? Shit, you're a real long-term planner! I don't even know what I'll be doing for the 2017 season yet! LOL

Why wait that long? It's good now, just race the thing! Get yourself some rear sets, a good set of race tires, race bodywork, have your suspension dialed in and you're good to go. A PCV with an aftermarket exhaust and a quick-shifter would be nice too if you don't already have that.
Gawernator likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle
sbk1198 is offline  
post #50 of 62 Old 12-13-2016, 07:56 AM
Track Star
 
dazo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 328

I Ride: 2012 RSV4 Factory
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
A friend of mine bought a 2012 Factory for $12k if I recall, and it had very few miles...like 1500ish. That was 2 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the prophet View Post
Southern California usually commands top dollar for motorcycles. I didn't look or particularly want one but I wouldn't mind trying one out. I have a friend with 2012 Factory.
Right now AF1 has 2016 RSV4 RF for $14,999 ($6000 off MSRP!)and the RSV4 RR for $13,999. These are ridiculous deals for brand new bikes.

Even if you aren't in the market for a new one, this is depressing the prices in the used market. This is a great time to get into one of these bikes because there are quite a few folks selling their old ones to get the newer, more powerful motor.
Gawernator and sbk1198 like this.
dazo is offline  
post #51 of 62 Old 12-13-2016, 09:21 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 3,765

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazo View Post
Right now AF1 has 2016 RSV4 RF for $14,999 ($6000 off MSRP!)and the RSV4 RR for $13,999. These are ridiculous deals for brand new bikes.

Even if you aren't in the market for a new one, this is depressing the prices in the used market. This is a great time to get into one of these bikes because there are quite a few folks selling their old ones to get the newer, more powerful motor.
I know I saw that! A 2016 RF for $15k is crazy good! When I saw that it made me sad cuz I don't have more money lol...I wanted one so bad but I told myself no more loans on toys...especially since I just bought a truck now.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle
sbk1198 is offline  
post #52 of 62 Old 12-13-2016, 09:57 AM
World Superbike Champion
 
Gawernator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hayward, CA
Posts: 1,906

I Ride: 2015 ZX-6R 636; 2009 250R; 1999 KX125
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
2019?? Shit, you're a real long-term planner! I don't even know what I'll be doing for the 2017 season yet! LOL

Why wait that long? It's good now, just race the thing! Get yourself some rear sets, a good set of race tires, race bodywork, have your suspension dialed in and you're good to go. A PCV with an aftermarket exhaust and a quick-shifter would be nice too if you don't already have that.
I have all that. Except the quick shifter. Because I have a 250 production championship to win first
sbk1198 likes this.

Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors:
Spears Racing | JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | Galfer | Incipio/Incase | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Outlaw Racing/Pit Posse Motorsports | Shorai Inc. | SPY+ | Vortex | Woodcraft
Gawernator is offline  
post #53 of 62 Old 12-13-2016, 10:33 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 3,765

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
I have all that. Except the quick shifter. Because I have a 250 production championship to win first
Do both! I race both my bikes. And so far most times have been back-to-back, just 5 minutes in between races...just enough to get a quick drink, take my warmers off the zx6r and switch over the transponder and GoPro
Gawernator likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle
sbk1198 is offline  
post #54 of 62 Old 12-13-2016, 10:52 AM
World Superbike Champion
 
Gawernator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hayward, CA
Posts: 1,906

I Ride: 2015 ZX-6R 636; 2009 250R; 1999 KX125
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Do both! I race both my bikes. And so far most times have been back-to-back, just 5 minutes in between races...just enough to get a quick drink, take my warmers off the zx6r and switch over the transponder and GoPro
I already have 4 classes to compete in lol. Can hardly afford that without sponsors. No way could I afford the 636 also
sbk1198 likes this.

Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors:
Spears Racing | JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | Galfer | Incipio/Incase | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Outlaw Racing/Pit Posse Motorsports | Shorai Inc. | SPY+ | Vortex | Woodcraft
Gawernator is offline  
post #55 of 62 Old 12-13-2016, 11:10 AM
Superbike Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazo View Post
Right now AF1 has 2016 RSV4 RF for $14,999 ($6000 off MSRP!)and the RSV4 RR for $13,999. These are ridiculous deals for brand new bikes.

Even if you aren't in the market for a new one, this is depressing the prices in the used market. This is a great time to get into one of these bikes because there are quite a few folks selling their old ones to get the newer, more powerful motor.
I hear you. The 14-15 k may be a great deal but when you get out the door it gets more like 16-17k. It's hard for me to justify a New, New bike when there are so many great slightly used ones for sale at a fraction of the New price. I don't have a Rsv4 fire lit under me just yet. maybe after I ride one, I may be thinking otherwise. I already have 5 bikes in the garage. I need another like I need a hole in my head.
Gawernator likes this.
the prophet is offline  
post #56 of 62 Old 12-13-2016, 12:25 PM
Track Star
 
dazo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 328

I Ride: 2012 RSV4 Factory
Quote:
Originally Posted by the prophet View Post
I hear you. The 14-15 k may be a great deal but when you get out the door it gets more like 16-17k. It's hard for me to justify a New, New bike when there are so many great slightly used ones for sale at a fraction of the New price. I don't have a Rsv4 fire lit under me just yet. maybe after I ride one, I may be thinking otherwise. I already have 5 bikes in the garage. I need another like I need a hole in my head.
I am the same way. I got my 2012 RSV4 with only 525 miles and payed way less than the sale price on these new ones. Like I said in an above post, the real benefit to these lower prices for new stock is that the used market is now even cheaper!

I am not sure what 5 bikes you have, but I think you should sell them all and get the Ape!

In all seriousness, the top bikes in the liter class all have something special about them, you just have to decide which one suits you best!
sbk1198 likes this.
dazo is offline  
post #57 of 62 Old 12-13-2016, 05:12 PM
Superbike Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 1,090
A 2008 Fjr1300, a 2013 Zx6r, a 2006 Zx6r track bike, a 2013 R1 and 2010 Yz450f. All have their pluses and minuses.
the prophet is offline  
post #58 of 62 Old 12-13-2016, 10:57 PM
ZX6r.com Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
THUG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: THE GOOD LIFE (402)
Posts: 6,843

I Ride: 2009 ZX6R DIABLO BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
2019? Shit, you're a real long-term planner!
aM I THE ONLY ONE WONDERING IF I WILL EVEN BE ALIVE IN 2019 ?
sbk1198 likes this.

JAMES 1:12
THUG is offline  
post #59 of 62 Old 12-14-2016, 06:40 PM
Track Star
 
PinoyRider88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 343

I Ride: '13 ZX-6R
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Get yourself some rear sets, a good set of race tires, race bodywork, have your suspension dialed in and you're good to go. A PCV with an aftermarket exhaust and a quick-shifter would be nice too if you don't already have that.
You're making me want to spend all kinds of money I don't have. Lol. Then again I've only got 5 wittle TD's under my belt. Lol

2013 ZX-6R
Hindle Exhaust(Can), SHOGUN FS, ASV shorty levers, 8000k HID, Renthal C/O, BMC Airfilter.
"It's not about how fast you go, its about how fast you go in a corner"
PinoyRider88 is offline  
post #60 of 62 Old 12-14-2016, 07:08 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 3,765

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyRider88 View Post
You're making me want to spend all kinds of money I don't have. Lol. Then again I've only got 5 wittle TD's under my belt. Lol
Mine became a track bike after the 7th day because I crashed it and it was much cheaper to make into a track bike than fix back the condition it was before.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle
sbk1198 is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > Racing

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ZX6RR 04 - Jumping 3rd Gear GRuss Mechanical and Technical 13 06-09-2016 10:25 PM
FS: Yoshi RS-5 exhaust for 2007 + Decatt headers and PC5 UK but will ship international. weeksy Classifieds 2 06-05-2016 03:28 AM
Jumping Ship grapyono Motorcycle Talk 9 10-28-2013 10:05 PM
??? rpm jumping ??? jonnyzx6r The ZX6R 12 12-11-2011 06:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome