Track Plastic question - ZX6R Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By smokey11
  • 1 Post By Derekdlf
  • 1 Post By sbk1198
  • 1 Post By Snazzy
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-06-2017, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Park City, UT
Posts: 82
Track Plastic question

I have 2-3 sets of track plastic for 09-12 ZX6R. I'm interested in getting newer model 13-16. Some items on newer model have not changed. Does anyone know if track plastic from 09-12 version will fit 13-16 version of ZX6R? I'd prefer to keep my plastic and use it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0101.PNG
Views:	15
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	57842  
Derekdlf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 03-06-2017, 09:01 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Strider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,500

I Ride: 2009 ZX-6R
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekdlf View Post
I have 2-3 sets of track plastic for 09-12 ZX6R. I'm interested in getting newer model 13-16. Some items on newer model have not changed. Does anyone know if track plastic from 09-12 version will fit 13-16 version of ZX6R? I'd prefer to keep my plastic and use it again.
Yes, it will all fit. The only thing you will need extra are the two plastic pieces that attach to the sides of the fuel tank, because the ones that come on the 2013+ models won't fit with the 2009-2012 plastics.

Those are parts 16146 and 16146A here: http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...ANK/parts.html

Winner - 6OTM - March 2014
2009 ZX-6R (65,695 miles and counting) | www.ZX6R.us | www.Seaton007.com

M4 GP Slip-on | ASV C5 Levers | Spiegler SS Brake Lines | SpeedoHealer V4
Custom FE | K&N Air Filter | Vortex Sprockets -1/+2 | EK MVXZ Chain

Last edited by Strider; 03-06-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Strider is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 03-06-2017, 10:45 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,684

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Yes, it will all fit. The only thing you will need extra are the two plastic pieces that attach to the sides of the fuel tank, because the ones that come on the 2013+ models won't fit with the 2009-2012 plastics.

Those are parts 16146 and 16146A here: Kawasaki Motorcycle Parts 2009 ZX600R9F Ninja ZX-6R FUEL TANK Diagram
I'm pretty sure they're interchangeable. Those plastic panels don't come in contact with the fairings, only the frame and tank, and those are the same for both generations.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old 03-06-2017, 12:22 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
smokey11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mississauga,Ontario and Wolverhampton UK
Posts: 4,202

I Ride: 09 ZX6R (track only) 04 CR85R
Yes interchangeable, but you will need the tank plastics for the 13+ but more importantly you will need the 13+ fairing bracket.
Hitman123 likes this.
smokey11 is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 03-06-2017, 01:39 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
Strider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,500

I Ride: 2009 ZX-6R
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
I'm pretty sure they're interchangeable. Those plastic panels don't come in contact with the fairings, only the frame and tank, and those are the same for both generations.
That's actually incorrect, the tank side covers (36001/A/B) on the 2013 connect to both the main side fairing and the top inner cowling (55028A):



So the 2013 tank side covers won't mate up the the 2009 fairing properly. That is why you need the 2009 tank side covers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 Fairing.png
Views:	84
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	57850  

Winner - 6OTM - March 2014
2009 ZX-6R (65,695 miles and counting) | www.ZX6R.us | www.Seaton007.com

M4 GP Slip-on | ASV C5 Levers | Spiegler SS Brake Lines | SpeedoHealer V4
Custom FE | K&N Air Filter | Vortex Sprockets -1/+2 | EK MVXZ Chain

Last edited by Strider; 03-06-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Strider is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 03-06-2017, 01:41 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
Strider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,500

I Ride: 2009 ZX-6R
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey11 View Post
Yes interchangeable, but you will need the tank plastics for the 13+ but more importantly you will need the 13+ fairing bracket.
I think you've got it backward. He is wanting to put the 2009 plastics on the 2013+ ZX-6R. So all he will need are the track plastics and the tank plastics from a 2009.

Winner - 6OTM - March 2014
2009 ZX-6R (65,695 miles and counting) | www.ZX6R.us | www.Seaton007.com

M4 GP Slip-on | ASV C5 Levers | Spiegler SS Brake Lines | SpeedoHealer V4
Custom FE | K&N Air Filter | Vortex Sprockets -1/+2 | EK MVXZ Chain
Strider is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 03-06-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Park City, UT
Posts: 82
Thx guys,

That's great news. I've got 2 sets of 09 gear and don't want to take a beating on swapping for '13 stuff.

D
Strider likes this.
Derekdlf is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 03-06-2017, 03:50 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,684

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
That's actually incorrect, the tank side covers (36001/A/B) on the 2013 connect to both the main side fairing and the top inner cowling (55028A):



So the 2013 tank side covers won't mate up the the 2009 fairing properly. That is why you need the 2009 tank side covers.
Oh I see what you're saying. So because track fairings don't have those mounting points on the upper fairing, the tank panels from the 2013+ would be sort of flopping around because you can't fasten the front end to anything...plus they might not clear the bodywork.

My bad, ignore what I said.
Strider likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 03-06-2017, 04:06 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
Strider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,500

I Ride: 2009 ZX-6R
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Oh I see what you're saying. So because track fairings don't have those mounting points on the upper fairing, the tank panels from the 2013+ would be sort of flopping around because you can't fasten the front end to anything...plus they might not clear the bodywork.

My bad, ignore what I said.
Correct, and the top of the main side fairings and the top inner cowl are shaped a little different as well.

Winner - 6OTM - March 2014
2009 ZX-6R (65,695 miles and counting) | www.ZX6R.us | www.Seaton007.com

M4 GP Slip-on | ASV C5 Levers | Spiegler SS Brake Lines | SpeedoHealer V4
Custom FE | K&N Air Filter | Vortex Sprockets -1/+2 | EK MVXZ Chain
Strider is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 03-06-2017, 11:02 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
smokey11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mississauga,Ontario and Wolverhampton UK
Posts: 4,202

I Ride: 09 ZX6R (track only) 04 CR85R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
I think you've got it backward. He is wanting to put the 2009 plastics on the 2013+ ZX-6R. So all he will need are the track plastics and the tank plastics from a 2009.
Doh as usual I read that wrong...

__________
YouTubechannelhttp://youtube.com/realsmokey11
Mods
DUA Motorsports Bodywork, Akrapovic Moto2 exhaust w/ Akrapovic SS full system, Attack Rearsets, Bazzaz ZFI TC, Kawasaki Kit ECU, MWR race filter, Fren Tubo type 4 carbon fiber brake lines, Braketech Iron Axis rotors, , carbon Fiber clip on tubes, Renthal clip ons, ram air mod, Attack velocity stacks, Motion Pro quick turn throttle, Brembo 19x18 MC, custom carbon fiber subframe, Ohlins TTX36, Ohlins 30mm cartridge kit

http://zx6r.com/pictures/26715-my-09-track-bike.html
smokey11 is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 03-06-2017, 11:41 PM
Superbike Champion
 
Snazzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 966
Tank plastics from the 09-12 are better for track plastics on a 13+ since most of the time the 13+ tank filler no longer fits as it should!
Strider likes this.

2013 zx6r and 2011 zx10r
Build Thread
MRA Novice #407 RACE LIKE A GIRL!
Snazzy is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 03-07-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Park City, UT
Posts: 82
What about rear sets from '09 to the '13+, will rear sets fit too?
Derekdlf is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 03-07-2017, 04:39 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
Strider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,500

I Ride: 2009 ZX-6R
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekdlf View Post
What about rear sets from '09 to the '13+, will rear sets fit too?
Those should work as well.

Winner - 6OTM - March 2014
2009 ZX-6R (65,695 miles and counting) | www.ZX6R.us | www.Seaton007.com

M4 GP Slip-on | ASV C5 Levers | Spiegler SS Brake Lines | SpeedoHealer V4
Custom FE | K&N Air Filter | Vortex Sprockets -1/+2 | EK MVXZ Chain
Strider is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 03-08-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Park City, UT
Posts: 82
I've got new in box front/rear brakes for 09. Will they work for '13+?
Derekdlf is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 03-08-2017, 01:06 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,684

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
You should just post a whole list on here rather than do each item one at a time

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > Racing

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS 09-12 track plastic & rear sets Derekdlf Classifieds 5 06-21-2017 06:56 AM
A track day in the rain at Sonoma russperry Racing 4 05-09-2016 09:51 AM
1st, 2nd track day experience and Crash zx6r636r The ZX6R 21 12-16-2015 02:46 PM
Lots of inquiries about track days/racing lately... PainfullySlo The ZX6R 8 10-11-2014 10:57 AM
Question about track tires 863JOE Mechanical and Technical 16 08-12-2014 05:27 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome