Track Day tips` - Page 2 - ZX6R Forum
 41Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 55 Old 05-02-2017, 07:53 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Schooley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by VohrteFahrt View Post
IT does say they have a "Demo" that day. so... maybe I can try the new r6!
If you break it, you buy it. I would stick to your own bike for the time being.

Also, the Uhaul motorcycle carrier is nice.. but not every location will have it and most likely will substitute it for their open "ramp" trailer which is almost identical and can hold two bikes.

Dont overpack, there is a lot of good advice above. Keep in mind your bike is designed to be on the track. Prep the bike how the trackday org wants and make sure you have plenty of air in your tires (a little extra is easier to pull out of the tire than putting 5-10 psi back in).

-You
-Your Bike
-Your Bike Key
-Your Gear (unless you are renting)
-Water
-Snacks
-More Water

Not included in the above list is any sort of ego. This should be left at home. Be prepared to be humbled. Be willing to learn. If you take half of the advice given here you will have the best time of your life.
Schooley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 55 Old 05-02-2017, 08:08 AM
World Superbike Champion
 
Gawernator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hayward, CA
Posts: 2,076

I Ride: 2015 ZX-6R 636; 2009 250R; 1999 KX125
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VohrteFahrt View Post
IT does say they have a "Demo" that day. so... maybe I can try the new r6!
Do it! The Yamaha demo days are fun. I got to ride the R3 at thunder hill that way. I wasn't going to get on the waitlist for the R1/6 lol

Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors:
JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Incipio/Incase | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Outlaw Racing/Pit Posse Motorsports | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft
http://www.gawerracing.com
Gawernator is online now  
post #18 of 55 Old 05-02-2017, 08:08 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
jd41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Monterey, California
Posts: 2,759

I Ride: 2014 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Garage
jd41 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19 of 55 Old 05-02-2017, 08:10 AM
World Superbike Champion
 
Gawernator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hayward, CA
Posts: 2,076

I Ride: 2015 ZX-6R 636; 2009 250R; 1999 KX125
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooley View Post
If you break it, you buy it. I would stick to your own bike for the time being.

Also, the Uhaul motorcycle carrier is nice.. but not every location will have it and most likely will substitute it for their open "ramp" trailer which is almost identical and can hold two bikes.

Dont overpack, there is a lot of good advice above. Keep in mind your bike is designed to be on the track. Prep the bike how the trackday org wants and make sure you have plenty of air in your tires (a little extra is easier to pull out of the tire than putting 5-10 psi back in).

-You
-Your Bike
-Your Bike Key
-Your Gear (unless you are renting)
-Water
-Snacks
-More Water

Not included in the above list is any sort of ego. This should be left at home. Be prepared to be humbled. Be willing to learn. If you take half of the advice given here you will have the best time of your life.
That's not true. The agreement you sign with Yamaha says that they are responsible for any mechanical repairs and that the rider is responsible for his own injuries and gear etc. have you done a Yamaha test day at the track? Just curious if you're assuming OR if somehow there's multiple programs ..

Also OP if you don't have a bicycle pump pick one up for $20.... and a good tire gauge. Tire pressures are very important. It's going to fluctuate throughout the day

Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors:
JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Incipio/Incase | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Outlaw Racing/Pit Posse Motorsports | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft
http://www.gawerracing.com
Gawernator is online now  
post #20 of 55 Old 05-02-2017, 08:18 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Schooley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
That's not true. The agreement you sign with Yamaha says that they are responsible for any mechanical repairs and that the rider is responsible for his own injuries and gear etc. have you done a Yamaha test day at the track? Just curious if you're assuming OR if somehow there's multiple programs ..

Also OP if you don't have a bicycle pump pick one up for $20.... and a good tire gauge. Tire pressures are very important. It's going to fluctuate throughout the day
The agreement I signed with the folks doing the Yamaha demo with Sportbike Track Time was the opposite. I pit in when I started dragging pegs on the r3 I was riding.
Gawernator likes this.
Schooley is offline  
post #21 of 55 Old 05-02-2017, 09:21 AM
World Superbike Champion
 
Gawernator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hayward, CA
Posts: 2,076

I Ride: 2015 ZX-6R 636; 2009 250R; 1999 KX125
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooley View Post
The agreement I signed with the folks doing the Yamaha demo with Sportbike Track Time was the opposite. I pit in when I started dragging pegs on the r3 I was riding.
Who had the bikes? Yamaha employees or the trackday people? That's pretty weird. Haha guess you guys get the short stick.

Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors:
JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Incipio/Incase | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Outlaw Racing/Pit Posse Motorsports | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft
http://www.gawerracing.com
Gawernator is online now  
post #22 of 55 Old 05-02-2017, 09:24 AM
World Superbike Racer
 
Off Camber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 1,579
Take the class, in many organizations this is required for first time track riders, and you would be stupid not to get the training.

Do not do the demo day, focus on learning on your bike. There will be plenty of opportunities to do one later.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooley View Post
Not included in the above list is any sort of ego. This should be left at home. Be prepared to be humbled. Be willing to learn. If you take half of the advice given here you will have the best time of your life.

After your classroom stuff towards the second half of the track day, they will unleash you. You will have a strong urge to keep up with the faster riders in the group. Resist this urge and focus on your own pace.


Write a short list of priorities and tape on your tank. Before you go out every session look down at it to refocus and remind you what you are doing out there. You might have Throttle Control or Turn Points on it for example, but it should always start with:

1. Don't Crash



Rinse, repeat, have an awesome time.
Schooley and Gawernator like this.

Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough.
Theodore Roosevelt
Off Camber is offline  
post #23 of 55 Old 05-02-2017, 09:51 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
Schooley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
Who had the bikes? Yamaha employees or the trackday people? That's pretty weird. Haha guess you guys get the short stick.
It was a Yamaha dealer affiliated with STT.
Gawernator likes this.
Schooley is offline  
post #24 of 55 Old 05-02-2017, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
VohrteFahrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 87

I Ride: Ninja 300 (Traded) 2015 Zx6r 636 30th Anniversary Edition
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Camber View Post
Take the class, in many organizations this is required for first time track riders, and you would be stupid not to get the training.

Do not do the demo day, focus on learning on your bike. There will be plenty of opportunities to do one later.






After your classroom stuff towards the second half of the track day, they will unleash you. You will have a strong urge to keep up with the faster riders in the group. Resist this urge and focus on your own pace.


Write a short list of priorities and tape on your tank. Before you go out every session look down at it to refocus and remind you what you are doing out there. You might have Throttle Control or Turn Points on it for example, but it should always start with:

1. Don't Crash



Rinse, repeat, have an awesome time.
hmm I see the point of having Throttle Control, eyes forward, stay focused.. Don't Crash seems so... well.. asking for trouble? I will make a short list of 4 things. Mine will be. 1. Throttle Control 2. Eyes and Head Forward( I read an article in the stickied thread about goons that kept looking behind them and caused an R1 to wreck.) 3. Body Control 4. Don't Cause Crash
Gawernator likes this.
VohrteFahrt is offline  
post #25 of 55 Old 05-02-2017, 10:53 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,384

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Nonsense! There are only 2 things you need to ask when you go to a track you haven't been to before:

1. Which way does the track go?
2. What is the lap record?

Felixthecat and Gawernator like this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
post #26 of 55 Old 05-02-2017, 11:06 AM
World Superbike Racer
 
Off Camber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by VohrteFahrt View Post
hmm I see the point of having Throttle Control, eyes forward, stay focused.. Don't Crash seems so... well.. asking for trouble? I will make a short list of 4 things. Mine will be. 1. Throttle Control 2. Eyes and Head Forward( I read an article in the stickied thread about goons that kept looking behind them and caused an R1 to wreck.) 3. Body Control 4. Don't Cause Crash

You might be focusing on different things with each session, so your list may change. N2 training is based off YCRS which is pretty straightforward.

N2’s Advanced Training Program — A Look Under the Hood


https://www.n2td.org/atp/
Gawernator likes this.

Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough.
Theodore Roosevelt
Off Camber is offline  
post #27 of 55 Old 05-02-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
VohrteFahrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 87

I Ride: Ninja 300 (Traded) 2015 Zx6r 636 30th Anniversary Edition
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Camber View Post
You might be focusing on different things with each session, so your list may change. N2 training is based off YCRS which is pretty straightforward.

N2’s Advanced Training Program – A Look Under the Hood


https://www.n2td.org/atp/
Gotcha, makes sense. Well I say Throttle control but I mean to control myself to not rip it when I am not ready. Body Control is to focus myself on my body. I will have to take some tape with my to tape it to my tank.
VohrteFahrt is offline  
post #28 of 55 Old 05-02-2017, 01:56 PM
World Superbike Champion
 
Gawernator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hayward, CA
Posts: 2,076

I Ride: 2015 ZX-6R 636; 2009 250R; 1999 KX125
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooley View Post
It was a Yamaha dealer affiliated with STT.
Ahhhhh see now it makes sense. I don't know how it's setup but the bikes they had here were directly from yamaha corporate

Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors:
JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Incipio/Incase | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Outlaw Racing/Pit Posse Motorsports | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft
http://www.gawerracing.com
Gawernator is online now  
post #29 of 55 Old 05-02-2017, 01:57 PM
World Superbike Champion
 
Gawernator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hayward, CA
Posts: 2,076

I Ride: 2015 ZX-6R 636; 2009 250R; 1999 KX125
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VohrteFahrt View Post
hmm I see the point of having Throttle Control, eyes forward, stay focused.. Don't Crash seems so... well.. asking for trouble? I will make a short list of 4 things. Mine will be. 1. Throttle Control 2. Eyes and Head Forward( I read an article in the stickied thread about goons that kept looking behind them and caused an R1 to wreck.) 3. Body Control 4. Don't Cause Crash
"You can't win a trackday, but you CAN lose one!" Lol

Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors:
JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Incipio/Incase | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Outlaw Racing/Pit Posse Motorsports | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft
http://www.gawerracing.com
Gawernator is online now  
post #30 of 55 Old 05-02-2017, 02:13 PM
Squid
 
1DWN5UP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 4
N2 is great for first time ever on the track people. Aside from that, at least if you're in novice group, it is an annoying org to ride with in my opinion. The novice group rules are so over the top. 1 hour long rider's meeting to start things off was insane, no passing unless a coach waves you by is ridiculous and was beyond annoying, and the extremely restricted passing made it even worse.

I rode with them 1 time, and I wouldn't do it again (UNLESS it was my very first time on track, or if I was in intermediate or advanced).
Gawernator likes this.
1DWN5UP is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > Racing

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A few notes about track day etiquette. PowerGroove Racing 57 12-02-2016 07:56 AM
1st, 2nd track day experience and Crash zx6r636r The ZX6R 21 12-16-2015 02:46 PM
N2 Track Days, PittRace, 7/19/2015 - WeaponZero's Ghetto Fabulous Track Day weaponzero Racing 9 08-01-2015 07:42 AM
2013 MARRC Track Day Raffle!!! TheEvilTwin East Coast 20 01-31-2013 09:49 AM
Fathers day Buttonwillow track day vids! PowerGroove Videos 0 07-21-2011 01:54 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome