Just in case you thought "old bikes" cant win - ZX6R Forum
 8Likes
  • 3 Post By Dustinwalbon
  • 2 Post By Indy
  • 1 Post By Sabotage
  • 1 Post By sbk1198
  • 1 Post By sbk1198
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-15-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Dustinwalbon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sedro-Woolley, WA
Posts: 79

I Ride: 03 SV650,05 636,15 636
Garage
Just in case you thought "old bikes" cant win

Wmrra round 3.

was able to score a second place win in 600 SS. with a 100% stock 2005 zx6r. only lost first to a moto America rider by .064 seconds.


So it can be done. not easy but old and trusty ninja was able to keep up and beat some fast bikes and riders ( =

for those of you who doubt or think they "need" new to do well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	.facebook_1496157994654.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	66250  
Dustinwalbon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 06-15-2017, 02:49 PM
ZX6r.com Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Indy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Indianapolis, In
Posts: 1,427
Garage



Way to go.. how about some video.
Dustinwalbon and PainfullySlo like this.
Indy is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 06-16-2017, 04:29 AM
Track Star
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Long Island
Posts: 400
The only problem with old and rusty is reliability... I was on my CBR F3 destroying people on faster bikes in the intermediate group. 1000's, 750's, 600's, it didn't matter. Once in a while a real rider flew by me because of horse power and was fast in the corners so there was nothing I could do. I was able to be fast by braking late (most people are scared to brake late) and keeping the speed up in the corners. I don't record often but this was one of my track days at Thompson. This was my first time there and this was like the third or forth session. You can skip to 5:00. That is when I started seeing a group in front of me and began to pick it up a bit. Remember, this was a 95 bike with 70 plus HP on PP3 tires. The only give away was the bike was set up properly. These dudes had slicks, tire warmers, CC's and my little F3 was giving them the work. Most people who do all that crap are just wasting money. They spend all that money and are no where near the threshold of their regular factory stuff. I loved that bike until the engine grenaded and broke my collar bone on a high side. While I was still racing the f3, I was putting my ZX6R together to see just how fast I could really be with a proper machine. I may never know now because since my crash, I've lost the motivation to push it to the limits....

PowerGroove likes this.
Sabotage is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 06-16-2017, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Dustinwalbon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sedro-Woolley, WA
Posts: 79

I Ride: 03 SV650,05 636,15 636
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post



Way to go.. how about some video.
Love to post some video's. I don't set my go pros up this year.. I'm an odd duck (in many ways) I choose to this year, race as many races as possible. to say, I entered every race they would let me. so 7-10 races a weekend can be demanding on me and my crew (SCR) so to reduce issues, I don't do video. with three bikes and transponder changes and tire pressures fuel ....ect was just too much. last round I did 6 in a row. and to get back on grid is tough. super lucky I have a few friends to help and the club is aware of my....idea of a good time....so they allow me a little extra time to drink some water and get back out. lucky enough to also have a great photog. and he gets good shots.

But others do video. check out any SV race (650SS,lightweight twins, lightweight superbike, middle weight GP twins) or any 600 or 750 race...and you'll see me(= WMRRA
Dustinwalbon is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 06-16-2017, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Dustinwalbon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sedro-Woolley, WA
Posts: 79

I Ride: 03 SV650,05 636,15 636
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabotage View Post
The only problem with old and rusty is reliability... I was on my CBR F3 destroying people on faster bikes in the intermediate group. 1000's, 750's, 600's, it didn't matter. Once in a while a real rider flew by me because of horse power and was fast in the corners so there was nothing I could do. I was able to be fast by braking late (most people are scared to brake late) and keeping the speed up in the corners. I don't record often but this was one of my track days at Thompson. This was my first time there and this was like the third or forth session. You can skip to 5:00. That is when I started seeing a group in front of me and began to pick it up a bit. Remember, this was a 95 bike with 70 plus HP on PP3 tires. The only give away was the bike was set up properly. These dudes had slicks, tire warmers, CC's and my little F3 was giving them the work. Most people who do all that crap are just wasting money. They spend all that money and are no where near the threshold of their regular factory stuff. I loved that bike until the engine grenaded and broke my collar bone on a high side. While I was still racing the f3, I was putting my ZX6R together to see just how fast I could really be with a proper machine. I may never know now because since my crash, I've lost the motivation to push it to the limits....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1bnrexKJ4M
yes, hard to keep a lead with having that many disadvantages. But if your goal is to become a better rider....(like me) then I think this is the best thing for it. unless you keep crashing to keep up. then you might need a better bike. but its super fun to beat the guy with lots of $$ right?!?!?! ( =
Dustinwalbon is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 06-16-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Dustinwalbon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sedro-Woolley, WA
Posts: 79

I Ride: 03 SV650,05 636,15 636
Garage
photos just for fun

( =
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BG1R4762.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	66298   Click image for larger version

Name:	BG1R4766.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	962.5 KB
ID:	66306  
Dustinwalbon is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 06-16-2017, 02:06 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,677

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinwalbon View Post
Love to post some video's. I don't set my go pros up this year.. I'm an odd duck (in many ways) I choose to this year, race as many races as possible. to say, I entered every race they would let me. so 7-10 races a weekend can be demanding on me and my crew (SCR) so to reduce issues, I don't do video. with three bikes and transponder changes and tire pressures fuel ....ect was just too much. last round I did 6 in a row. and to get back on grid is tough. super lucky I have a few friends to help and the club is aware of my....idea of a good time....so they allow me a little extra time to drink some water and get back out. lucky enough to also have a great photog. and he gets good shots.

But others do video. check out any SV race (650SS,lightweight twins, lightweight superbike, middle weight GP twins) or any 600 or 750 race...and you'll see me(= WMRRA
That's tough. I have a friend that races 3 bikes and he's done back-to-back-to-back races on his 300, SV650 and ZX10R, in various orders. I don't get how he does it. I complain about having to do just a couple of back-to-back races on my zx6r and now R3 (CBR500 last year). It's tough to get your body and mind re-acquainted to a different bike right away. First couple of laps always feel awkward and more scary to me because of that.
Dustinwalbon likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 06-16-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Dustinwalbon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sedro-Woolley, WA
Posts: 79

I Ride: 03 SV650,05 636,15 636
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
That's tough. I have a friend that races 3 bikes and he's done back-to-back-to-back races on his 300, SV650 and ZX10R, in various orders. I don't get how he does it. I complain about having to do just a couple of back-to-back races on my zx6r and now R3 (CBR500 last year). It's tough to get your body and mind re-acquainted to a different bike right away. First couple of laps always feel awkward and more scary to me because of that.
agree with you 110% next year will just be a 600. its not that its "too" hard. but I find its not helping me become a better rider. maybe just one who races more with more risks.

done my fair share of crashing for sure.
Dustinwalbon is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 06-16-2017, 05:50 PM
MotoGP Champion
 
sbk1198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,677

I Ride: '09 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinwalbon View Post
agree with you 110% next year will just be a 600. its not that its "too" hard. but I find its not helping me become a better rider. maybe just one who races more with more risks.

done my fair share of crashing for sure.
Yeah I've been told by others that race or raced multiple bikes that it usually doesn't help you improve and it's better to just focus on one bike. Most that do that do it for the points. My friend who raced 3 bikes did it for that reason mainly. It helped him get the overall #1 plate as an expert in his region because he racked up so many points. He wasn't the fastest guy, but the guys that were better than him were only racing 1 bike in like 3 classes or so, whereas he was racing 3 bikes in like 10-11 classes total and he was able to get wins on the 300 and SV, and a bunch of 3rd/4ths on average on the zx10. The guy that currently holds the #1 plate did the same thing as well...raced a 300, 600 and 1000.

I just do it for fun. I'm racing 2 bikes because:

1. I have 2, so why not? lol
2. If i'm going to travel like 8-10 hours to a race, I don't want to just run 3 races only, so having 2 bikes lets me do anywhere from 5-7 typically, plus double the practice sessions since I can practice in 2 groups.
3. Different type of competition and challenge with each one.
4. If I crash one in the first race, it's not a complete waste because I can still do the races on the other bike if I'm ok...which is exactly what happened last month.
Dustinwalbon likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
2015 R3 (project bike and future race bike)

Sponsors: Vortex Racing, MSM, MTR Cycle

April 2016 and April 2017 6OTM winner!
sbk1198 is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > Racing

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome