Hey guys, just picked up a '06 636 from my buddy. So after frustrating searches and e-mails sent to multiple companies, I have decided to start on a project over a couple weekends. I'm putting a Werkes lateral exhaust on my 636 since the undertail exhaust was already removed. There is the UGLY void under the back seat and I want it to be pretty.
I'm going to be doing a step by step DIY fab of a cover with pics for my '06 since HBR stopped making the kit, and people who want to sell their used one for outrageous prices. So for those of you looking for a solution, I'm going to be making one for you to follow.
The plan is to measure out with construction paper, then buy some foam board and make a mold to cover in fiberglass, sand and paint. I know it's easier said than done, but I've worked with fiberglass and it's fairly easy. Priced out the stuff and it should be a $60-80 solution. Hopefully when this is all done the mods can make it into a sticky, but not until my project is complete.
Removed the seat, side fairings, and rear seat to get the tail off.
Measured where I wanted the cover to end on both sides before I removed the tail.
Traced out a basic template to work with.
Added about 1/8" all the way around the sides, and measured the tip that covers part of the rear tail light. Have a basic mold to fiber over.
2 layers of mat, 1 layer of cloth
Fits the tail nicely
Counting Cost: Crafting materials were about $8, fiber mat/cloth, resin, bondo clay and paint came to $75 Total: $83
Counting Time: ~4 hours craft, ~20 hours of dry time
More to come....