Got bored, wanted to see how much money I was saving riding bike vs. car - ZX6R Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By 07chuck
  • 1 Post By Eurodriver
  • 1 Post By hellonearth
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-09-2013, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Miami
Posts: 580
Got bored, wanted to see how much money I was saving riding bike vs. car

Seems like I've been blowing up this forum lately with threads, probably because this is peak riding season in Florida and the rest of you are playing in the snow. That wasn't a dig, I promise

Anyway, now that I'm riding my bike as my daily driver and put the car away for a few months, I came up with a formula to see how much money owning the bike cost me. This does not include tires, maintenance, etc. Just gasoline and insurance. While I could include it with the formula, it would be way too complex and a better comparison would be to figure out the cost per mile of each. The problem with cost per mile is that it doesn't factor in fixed costs like insurance and payments. You can drive 0 miles and still pay $1000/yr in car insurance.

So the formula is:

{(Bike payment)+(Bike Insurance)+[(Miles Driven)/(Bike mpg)*(Bike Gas Price)]}​ - {(Car Payment)+(Car insurance)+[(Miles Driven)/(Car mpg)*(Car Gas Price)]}

That might be hard to dissect, so for example:

I rode 1,200 miles last month.

My bike payment is $220/mo. My bike insurance is $45/mo. I get 35 MPG and my last fill up with premium was $3.779/gal.

My car payment is $0. My car insurance is $83/mo. I get 21 MPG and my last fill up with premium was $3.779/gal (Damn Mercedes)

i.e.
{220+45+[(1200)/(35mpg)*(3.779)]}​ - {0+83+[(1200)/(21mpg)*(3.779)]}

(265+130) - (299) = $96

The $96 represents how much more I spent riding and owning my bike over what it would have cost me to drive the same amount of miles. I don't factor in any miles that I drive in my car because I would be putting those miles on my car anyway, whether I owned the bike or not.

As you can see, there is a direct relationship between miles driven and cost of bike ownership. The fewer miles you put on your bike, the more your bike costs (Assuming you don't drive a Prius)

I get by kind of lucky, my car is expensive as hell to maintain so maintenance and repairs on the bike are actually cheaper. For example, my car tires cost over $1,000 for a set of 4 and barely last 15,000 mile. It takes 9 quarts of Mobil 1 and a $20 fleece filter, and my brake pads are over $125 and the rotors are $200 each.

If you drive a Honda Civic, you will have opposite figures.

So just out of curiosity, any of you that are riding daily, what do your numbers come out to? If you get a negative number, that means you are actually saving money by riding your bike. If my bike was paid off, it would save me $124/month to ride the bike at 1,200 miles a month.
Eurodriver is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 12-09-2013, 07:28 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
lowcel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 5,111

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R street, 2009 ZX6R track
I was told one time by a bike shop owner that you are just kidding yourself about "saving" money by riding a bike if you still own a car. I think he is right and I'm okay with that.

Also, I don't own a Prius, I have a Lexus CT200h which is basically a fancy Prius that gets 41 mpg. Now, if we compare it to my Tundra I'm screwed.
lowcel is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 12-09-2013, 07:38 AM
Pro Racer
 
07chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Racine WI
Posts: 838

I Ride: 08 zx6r
Cool, I shoveled 5 inches of snow this morning with the truck warming up. 5.7 hemi tuned, high flow intake, straight pipe exhaust = 13 mpg. With a 35 mile round trip to work I save a LOT in the summer
golgo13 likes this.
07chuck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 12-09-2013, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Miami
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcel View Post
I was told one time by a bike shop owner that you are just kidding yourself about "saving" money by riding a bike if you still own a car. I think he is right and I'm okay with that.

Also, I don't own a Prius, I have a Lexus CT200h which is basically a fancy Prius that gets 41 mpg. Now, if we compare it to my Tundra I'm screwed.
While I agree with the premise, I disagree with the absoluteness that a bike is always more expensive than driving your car. As a Lexus owner, you should know that repairs and parts get expensive fast and as a Tundra owner you should know that shitty gas mileage adds up quick.

But just for giggles, why don't you plug in your own info and see that I'm right? I know that Lexus has some pretty hefty payments and insurance costs.
Eurodriver is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 12-09-2013, 08:12 AM
Superbike Champion
 
MrKawi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Formerly 216cityboy -- Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 875

I Ride: 2012 ZX6R
I'm still focused on $45 for insurance. What company/coverage do YOU have?

1991 Ninja 500 - Sold
2008 ZZR600 - Totaled
2012 ZX6R - Updating...........
February 2014 6 of the Month

MrKawi is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 12-09-2013, 08:13 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
spiderman636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,925

I Ride: 2005 zx6r
I don't feel like doing the calculation but I know I come out on top because I pay 12 bucks for insurance and have no bike payment. Where the bike gets expensive is the number of miles in joy riding. During riding season I have easily done a thousand miles in a weekend. Rough estimate that's probably 6 tanks of gas. So about a hundred bucks in one weekend. I don't even wanna factor in times I get a hotel in the mountains just to ride. Lol

I think someone who owns a bike as a commute vehicle can definitely save a lot of money especially if you are doing your own maintenance but most of us who joy ride and put a lot of seat time in are paying a lot.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

spiderman636 is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 12-09-2013, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Miami
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman636 View Post
I don't feel like doing the calculation but I know I come out on top because I pay 12 bucks for insurance and have no bike payment. Where the bike gets expensive is the number of miles in joy riding. During riding season I have easily done a thousand miles in a weekend. Rough estimate that's probably 6 tanks of gas. So about a hundred bucks in one weekend. I don't even wanna factor in times I get a hotel in the mountains just to ride. Lol

I think someone who owns a bike as a commute vehicle can definitely save a lot of money especially if you are doing your own maintenance but most of us who joy ride and put a lot of seat time in are paying a lot.
I was thinking about this, and I've been known to put a lot of miles on my bike joy riding as well (but 1,000 miles in a weekend? WTF!)

But that wouldn't fall under this scenario at all. Those 6 tanks of gas aren't car vs. bike commuting costs. They're entertainment costs. And if you filled up 6 times, where else can you have that much fun and freedom for less than $100? That's like 1 theme park ticket.
spiderman636 likes this.
Eurodriver is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 12-09-2013, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Track Star
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Miami
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKawi View Post
I'm still focused on $45 for insurance. What company/coverage do YOU have?
GEICO - BI, Property damage, towing, and comprehensive.

Costs me $540/yr. Is that a lot or not a lot?

With collision it increases to over $3,000/yr (Like $275/mo)
Eurodriver is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 12-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Superbike Champion
 
MrKawi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Formerly 216cityboy -- Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 875

I Ride: 2012 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
GEICO - BI, Property damage, towing, and comprehensive.

Costs me $540/yr. Is that a lot or not a lot?

With collision it increases to over $3,000/yr (Like $275/mo)
That's not a lot. I have collision so maybe that's why mine is so much.

1991 Ninja 500 - Sold
2008 ZZR600 - Totaled
2012 ZX6R - Updating...........
February 2014 6 of the Month

MrKawi is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 12-09-2013, 08:43 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
lowcel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 5,111

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R street, 2009 ZX6R track
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
While I agree with the premise, I disagree with the absoluteness that a bike is always more expensive than driving your car. As a Lexus owner, you should know that repairs and parts get expensive fast and as a Tundra owner you should know that shitty gas mileage adds up quick.

But just for giggles, why don't you plug in your own info and see that I'm right? I know that Lexus has some pretty hefty payments and insurance costs.
I know if I got rid of my cars a bike would be cheaper. However, having a bike in addition to a car very rarely ever saves money. So far I have had no repairs on my car, bought the 90,000 mile warranty so I most likely will never have any out of pocket repairs. I inherited the Tundra so I have never had a payment on it.
lowcel is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 12-09-2013, 08:45 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
lowcel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 5,111

I Ride: 2013 ZX6R street, 2009 ZX6R track
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
GEICO - BI, Property damage, towing, and comprehensive.

Costs me $540/yr. Is that a lot or not a lot?

With collision it increases to over $3,000/yr (Like $275/mo)
I pay a bit less than that through Geico, I pay $458 per year.

Last edited by lowcel; 12-09-2013 at 11:57 AM.
lowcel is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 12-09-2013, 09:00 AM
MotoGP Champion
 
spiderman636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,925

I Ride: 2005 zx6r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
I was thinking about this, and I've been known to put a lot of miles on my bike joy riding as well (but 1,000 miles in a weekend? WTF!)

But that wouldn't fall under this scenario at all. Those 6 tanks of gas aren't car vs. bike commuting costs. They're entertainment costs. And if you filled up 6 times, where else can you have that much fun and freedom for less than $100? That's like 1 theme park ticket.
I totally agree with ur argument. That was why I was saying I spend a lot more with my bike because of all the entertainment.

As far as a tthousabd miles. I live in moth Carolina. In my opinion it's some of the best riding in the country. We would hit the road at 6am be at the mountains by 8am and literally ride non stop until dark. That's trailering to the mountains too. Lol a lot of times we would ride in nc, tn, and va all in the same day. Get a hotel. Wake up and do it all again the next day.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

spiderman636 is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 12-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Post Master General
 
hellonearth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Ga
Posts: 8,024

I Ride: 2007 zx6r :D
I only have a motorcycle
Eurodriver likes this.

Don't be stupid.
P model spark plug change! http://www.instructables.com/id/2008...k-Plug-Change/
hellonearth is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > The ZX6R

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Acceleration car vs bike ohdavee The ZX6R 16 02-24-2013 09:09 PM
Motorcycle Picture Game!!! Vr46 The ZX6R 9 06-21-2012 01:04 AM
Suspension Setup Guide jamboy Guides 9 05-23-2012 01:12 PM
Suspension Settings 2007 ZX6R 210lb Rider flopalock The ZX6R 9 09-26-2009 02:27 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome