New to the forum and forum's in general, apologies in advance for any etiquette mistakes.
I also have the same issue as above. Frustratingly I bought a 2008 ZX6-R, 1 owner from new, heated garage, (lived on it's own special rug). You know the sort, proper pampered.
Anyway, the ride home from his house was about 70miles and it poured all the way home. Next day I take her out for a blast and the tacho doesn't move- sits at 0 when I start her and the cluster, whilst lit up shows no information at all. Rode her for about 20 minutes without knowing how fast I was and decided it was best to go home before I got a ticket/ held up everyone riding at 11mph!!
I've checked the cluster electrics for obvious signs of corrosion/ bent cabling and also the battery but they look like new...
Could it be a fuse?
Any help much appreciated. She's brand new to me and broken already....
If the whole cluster is 'bad', the problem is associated with wiring or a connector that is common to the whole cluster.
You say it lights up, but presents no information. That would make me think the plug that carries the data is the one that's hosed up. It must be getting some power, and some ground if it can get the back lighting to work.
I'd start unplugging connectors, and re-seating them. At the same time, I would flood each one I took apart with dielectric grease, so it cannot repeat the problem.
Either a connector is loose, or there is some spot corrosion between contacts in a connector. If a connector ever got wet, the moisture gets trapped in the housings, and eventually wets the male and female pins. Because they are so close together, the water evaporates out of those tight nooks and crannies very, very slowly. That long time water exposure sets up corrosive cells, and the rust that forms doesn't pass electricity as well as the bare metal did.
When you pull the connector apart, the wiping motion breaks up the corrosion and puts metal to metal again. If you flood the connector with the grease, it will prevent any water from making contact with the metal.
As you go through looking for all the connections, inspect the wiring harness for melted spots, or chaffed wires -- exposed copper can ground to the frame and short out signals.
You also need to check the ground connections to the frame, to make sure they are clean and shiny as well.