ZX6R.com

Help ! rough idle

This is a discussion on Help ! rough idle within the The ZX6R forums, part of the ZX6R Forum category; hey guys this past week i notice my bike is idleing weird than usual, ive change my exhaust & went with a full M4 exhaust ...

Go Back   ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > The ZX6R

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 06-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
MotoGP Champion
 
zx racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: Scottsboro,AL

Posts: 3,744

I Ride: 04 ZX-636
Help ! rough idle

hey guys this past week i notice my bike is idleing weird than usual, ive change my exhaust & went with a full M4 exhaust & the bike idle fine, when i chop the muffler after that the bike idle different, it used to idle fine at 1100 rpm cold/1300 rpm warm but not any more, i noticed when i turn the black knob it idles real good around 1500 rpm warm, is that to high or is that safe ? have anybody experience this problem ? & will runnin some FI cleaner thru the tank help
zx racer is offline  
Remove Ads

Welcome to the largest Kawasaki ZX6R Forum for the Kawasaki ZX6R, ZX6RR, 636, and ZX6.

We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the Kawasaki ZX6R Forum family!

Old 06-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
MotoGP Champion
 
ZoomSplat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
From: Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Posts: 2,586

I Ride: Cafe Racer, Commuter, a Dirty one, and a Land Speed Racer.
FI cleaner is hog wash. Don't waste your money.

I believe the idle spec is somewhere around 1500 anyway. It's a range, something like 1400+/- 200, or something like that. As long as it's smooth, I wouldn't worry about it. Just set it where it needs to be and enjoy the ride.
ZoomSplat is offline  
Old 06-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
MotoGP Champion
 
Quarkz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: Sunshine Coast, QLD

Posts: 5,144

I Ride: 04 636, 13 636, 02 636, 01 6R, 06 ER6n, 07 PitPro 140
Mine sounds like a ported rotary. I hate it. 1500 sounds fine, it wont hurt it.
Quarkz is offline  
Old 06-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
Post Master General
 
raized1199's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: The Republic of Texas!

Posts: 6,026

I Ride: Then-2001 ZX6R / Now-2010 ER6N
fi cleaner will be a good start.
Depending on where you get your gas will depend on how "clean" it is.
Injectors WILL start to clog and gum up.
Ive seen a lot of abused cars as far as neglect to keeping carbs and injectors clean.
Some times, not always, but some times, a good cleaner will save a butt load of cash
on new injectors.

Ive made some good cash on folks who dont believe in fi cleaner as a preventive.
Along with folks that dont fix their breaks when they start to squeak.
(injectors and rotors aint cheap)

I run Lucas about every 4 or 5 tank fulls.


Ive used just about everything under the sun for fuel additives/cleaners
and this has been what Ive used for many years.
Everything from stroker motors with 750 Hollys, CB, KZ, Z1 motorcycles
all with carbs to every car we and my kids have now.
Saturn, Nissan and Hondas.

IF, this is your prob and IF you have got it in time...
a good cleaner will work.
Ive run 2 tanks in my Civic Si when I got it before it cleared out.


This is IF you have a fuel prob.

How are your plugs?
raized1199 is offline  
Old 06-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
MotoGP Champion
 
ZoomSplat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
From: Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Posts: 2,586

I Ride: Cafe Racer, Commuter, a Dirty one, and a Land Speed Racer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raized1199 View Post
Ive made some good cash on folks who dont believe in fi cleaner as a preventive.
Exactly, it's a preventative maintenance tool, it's not going to clean out years of gunk and neglect.
ZoomSplat is offline  
Old 06-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #6
Post Master General
 
raized1199's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: The Republic of Texas!

Posts: 6,026

I Ride: Then-2001 ZX6R / Now-2010 ER6N
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomSplat View Post
Exactly, it's a preventative maintenance tool, it's not going to clean out years of gunk and neglect.
Ive done it before...
That's why I said "Some times, not always, but some times..."
raized1199 is offline  
Old 06-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
MotoGP Champion
 
ZoomSplat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
From: Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Posts: 2,586

I Ride: Cafe Racer, Commuter, a Dirty one, and a Land Speed Racer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raized1199 View Post
Ive done it before...
That's why I said "Some times, not always, but some times..."
Yeah, sometimes. I don't really want to ruin this guys thread with a debate about snake oil, but people read the bottle, dump it in, and expect that one application will fix all their problem that years of neglect have produced. I've seen vehicles that run the stuff in every other tank that still need new injectors, and I've seen others that dump it in and it takes care of their issue.

I don't trust the stuff, and am pretty sure that it's nothing but little childrens' hopes and dreams, stuffed into a bottle, and burned up in your engine.
ZoomSplat is offline  
Old 06-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #8
Post Master General
 
raized1199's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
From: The Republic of Texas!

Posts: 6,026

I Ride: Then-2001 ZX6R / Now-2010 ER6N
Well, to each their own.
For less then $5 every 4-5 tank fulls+ 1/2 a bottle...
I aint got a prob and never have.

lol


Like I asked Ryda, hows your plugs?
raized1199 is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 12:38 AM   #9
Track Star
 
soc_monki's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
From: NE Mississippi

Posts: 504

I Ride: 2008 ZX-6R
check and adjust idle when fully warmed up...manual should state specs, for example and 07-08 is 1250 +- 50.
run some Seafoam through it too. matter of fact, i need to do it to mine.
general tune up too depending on how many miles you have on it.
soc_monki is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 03:22 AM   #10
World Superbike Racer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
From: Queensland

Posts: 1,751

I Ride: 04 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by raized1199 View Post
fi cleaner will be a good start.
Depending on where you get your gas will depend on how "clean" it is.
Injectors WILL start to clog and gum up.
Ive seen a lot of abused cars as far as neglect to keeping carbs and injectors clean.
Some times, not always, but some times, a good cleaner will save a butt load of cash
on new injectors.

Ive made some good cash on folks who dont believe in fi cleaner as a preventive.
Along with folks that dont fix their breaks when they start to squeak.
(injectors and rotors aint cheap)

I run Lucas about every 4 or 5 tank fulls.


Ive used just about everything under the sun for fuel additives/cleaners
and this has been what Ive used for many years.
Everything from stroker motors with 750 Hollys, CB, KZ, Z1 motorcycles
all with carbs to every car we and my kids have now.
Saturn, Nissan and Hondas.

IF, this is your prob and IF you have got it in time...
a good cleaner will work.
Ive run 2 tanks in my Civic Si when I got it before it cleared out.


This is IF you have a fuel prob.

How are your plugs?
thats what i run too but i do mine every 3rd tank plus i sell the stuff so i get really cheep i used to work in a big spare parts franchise and i tryed a few and found that the lucas works best with repeted use

as to your Q ryda mine idles at 1500 when warm and its fine i tryed to turn it down to bout 1100 to 1000 and the bike ran like a bag of crap so i put it back where she was and havent had any probs
yahoo is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #11
MotoGP Champion
 
zx racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: Scottsboro,AL

Posts: 3,744

I Ride: 04 ZX-636
Quote:
Originally Posted by raized1199 View Post
fi cleaner will be a good start.
Depending on where you get your gas will depend on how "clean" it is.
Injectors WILL start to clog and gum up.
Ive seen a lot of abused cars as far as neglect to keeping carbs and injectors clean.
Some times, not always, but some times, a good cleaner will save a butt load of cash
on new injectors.

Ive made some good cash on folks who dont believe in fi cleaner as a preventive.
Along with folks that dont fix their breaks when they start to squeak.
(injectors and rotors aint cheap)

I run Lucas about every 4 or 5 tank fulls.


Ive used just about everything under the sun for fuel additives/cleaners
and this has been what Ive used for many years.
Everything from stroker motors with 750 Hollys, CB, KZ, Z1 motorcycles
all with carbs to every car we and my kids have now.
Saturn, Nissan and Hondas.

IF, this is your prob and IF you have got it in time...
a good cleaner will work.
Ive run 2 tanks in my Civic Si when I got it before it cleared out.


This is IF you have a fuel prob.

How are your plugs?
thx for the info but i think my injectors is fine, i to run fuel injector cleaner sometimes just to clean all the nasty gunk out & keep them injectors clean & healthy, plugs look fine & gap correctly & was just changed at the end of last yr
zx racer is offline  
Old 06-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #12
MotoGP Champion
 
zx racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
From: Scottsboro,AL

Posts: 3,744

I Ride: 04 ZX-636
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
thats what i run too but i do mine every 3rd tank plus i sell the stuff so i get really cheep i used to work in a big spare parts franchise and i tryed a few and found that the lucas works best with repeted use

as to your Q ryda mine idles at 1500 when warm and its fine i tryed to turn it down to bout 1100 to 1000 and the bike ran like a bag of crap so i put it back where she was and havent had any probs
im just going to bump the idle up to 1500 rpm warm where it idles smooth at, i remember when i bought the bike thats where it idle at & she ran good so thats where its going back to, Thx
zx racer is offline  
Reply

  ZX6R Forum > ZX6R Forum > The ZX6R


Search tags for this page
01 zx6r rough idle
,
01 zx6r starts then idle drops
,
03' zx6r 636 irratic idle
,

06 zx6r rough idle

,
06 zx6r rough idle with exhaust
,
06 zx6r weird idle
,
07 zx6r choppy idle
,

08 zx6r rough idle

,

2006 zx6r rough idle

,

2007 zx6r rough idle

,
rough idle zx6r
,

zx6r rough idle

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rough idle and bogging down while takiing off-fixed Street Hawk Mechanical and Technical 42 06-13-2014 07:28 PM
Ticking and rough idle after wash? nate1235 The ZX6R 10 09-25-2011 04:57 PM
ZX6 High idle and rough running Brian1000bud Mechanical and Technical 1 09-03-2011 10:10 PM
Rough Idle....and some pics :) LenaLilLower Motorcycle Talk 20 05-25-2011 05:13 PM
Rough Idle GIGM08GT The ZX6R 8 03-01-2009 04:01 PM